two problems on the go today.....

myzeneye

ive packed in smoking but it seems my bikes taken up the habit.... :stoned:

at todays trial, things didnt seem right.....

1st problem was when i blipped the throttle i could here what i would describe as a knock ?? sound like one knock, just as the revs got upto there highest point.... any idea's...?

2nd problem, the tail pipe began to smoke a bit.... this gradually got worse to the point where it was stinking, smoking and a bit concerning to say the least....hahhaa

im guessing ive got my fuel mixture too rich... however i am running at sherco's reccomended 2% (5litres of fuel to 80ml twostroke oil)

my guess is.... for the 1st problem, the fuel i used today was arounf 6-7 weeks old..... perhaps combustion was not at its best, 2nd problem with the smoke, again, the crap fuel and maybe too much two stroke oil......

any advice is welcome...also, will i need to clean out the exhaust at the manifold and the silencer ? if so, i can see how to get at the manifold area but the silencer seems to be a sealed unit ? any idea's ???

Edited by myzeneye

Sounds like you are leaking coolant past the Orings in the head.

that sounds bad...........

just had the mains done and its running sweet as a nut.....well, till today.... just that slight top end knock... i dont know what "piston slap" sounds like, but it would be a good description of the sound thats happening... ??? its just like one "click/knock" when i blip the throttle, as i say, when the revs are at there highest peak.......

when the big ends were done about two months ago, the head end was removed complete and didnt get broken down so im not sure what the condition is in there....

would replacing the o rings in the head be a big job or just a case of stripping it down and replacing the o rings ?? im not sure whats involved..would this be the same thing as a head gasket being gone ?

also, the smoke coming from the exhaust was deffo like burning oil...it stunk....

The silencer will be full of carbon & oil, it is a sealed unit.

If you do a search on here there are details how to cut the back of the silencer.

You can then repack it & seal it up without having to weld it.

Do it and save yourself

hi mate i dont think it is anything as nasty as o rings just check coolant level to be sure im sure it is just down to too much oil in the silencer possibly check your plug to see how wet it is do the cheap stuff first mate

i am running at sherco's reccomended 2% (5litres of fuel to 80ml twostroke oil)

The way I do sums, 5 litres of fuel to 80ml twostroke oil is not 2%, it's 1.6%.

maybe too much two stroke oil......

If you leave the oil out altogether, it'll soon stop smoking.

The way I do sums, 5 litres of fuel to 80ml twostroke oil is not 2%, it's 1.6%.

If you leave the oil out altogether, it'll soon stop smoking.

<_< your joking...right..... <_<

as far as doing the maths is concerned.... my measuring vessel and the bottle of ipone two stoke says 5L needs 80ml to give 2%....ive never tried to work it outive just gone with what it says... :rolleyes:

so, sherco say 2%..... what does that relate to in ml of two stroke oil... and aprart from their reccomendations, how much does any one else run their bike on ...?

Edited by myzeneye

The silencer will be full of carbon & oil, it is a sealed unit.

If you do a search on here there are details how to cut the back of the silencer.

You can then repack it & seal it up without having to weld it.

Do it and save yourself

It takes a couple of hours to do, not too difficult

You need an angle grinder, some aluminum plate, pop rivets & drill.

All the bodging is covered up by the air box when re assembled.

The silencer still looks the same when back on the bike.

Best mod I did to my sherco!

a handy conversion chart

http://www.sidecartrials.com/two-stroke.htm

this means your running yours at about 60-1 ish it must be gargling on the stuff

good one egg ed, could have told me this on sunday....hahahahha :icon_salut:

nice chart tho.... :rolleyes:

bleedin sherco.... :rolleyes: it clearly says on the side of the frame, "sherco reccomends 2% two stroke mix " gob****es, what are they doing ? a roaring trade in silencers ill bet...hahahha

Edited by myzeneye

It takes a couple of hours to do, not too difficult

You need an angle grinder, some aluminum plate, pop rivets & drill.

All the bodging is covered up by the air box when re assembled.

The silencer still looks the same when back on the bike.

Best mod I did to my sherco!

that sounds interesting.... <_<

what did you use to re-oack it ? do the baffles come out or did you stuff it with them in situ ? also, i did do a search on here but couldnt find the thread with details on this issue mate... ? found threads on this subject but non detailing the surgery your talking about.. ? :rolleyes:

im hoping, if i run it really lean and then take it out and ride it like its stolen it may burn off the oil and sort it self out....

let me know if you think this is unlikley though...hahahah

still no answer on pluggin one end and filling it with degreaser ? is there any reason why this wouldnt work ?

Edited by myzeneye

i was wondering about that de greaser method you are thinking of only downside i can think of would be flames when it next gets hot

also if the excess oil has been burning in the silencer will the packing/ wadding ? that is in there be any good now anyway

sorry dont mean to be doom and gloom but it just comes naturally to me

:rolleyes:

i was wondering about that de greaser method you are thinking of only downside i can think of would be flames when it next gets hot

also if the excess oil has been burning in the silencer will the packing/ wadding ? that is in there be any good now anyway

sorry dont mean to be doom and gloom but it just comes naturally to me

:rolleyes:

still sounds normal so wadding must be ok'ish... <_<

i dont know whether degreaser is super flammable or not...., cant see it being a lethal mixture ??it seems to obvious a thing to do....????? if it was this simple surley somone would have done this before... :rolleyes:

can anyone give me a reason not to do it ?

remove tail pipe, plug one end, fill with degreaser fluid like jizer... leave over night then flush through with fresh/clean jizer....leave for say a week to dry out before refitting.... stand back and see whaqt happens when it gets hot...hahhahahahha :banana2:

worst case scenario, it wrecks the wadding... well, then its time for plan B of cutting it open and repacking.........

Edited by myzeneye