hopping the rear

ok guys any tips to hop the rear about ive practised and practised but i just manage to end up tiring myself out,the lads i watch doing it seem to do it with ease so it must be technique??

There are 2 things you must do to learn how to lift the rear wheel (actually moving it in the desired direction and sticking the landing are more difficult). You have probably already done the first thing. That is to lock the front brake and push down firmly on the handle bars. You must try this to understand that it doesn't work. Next stradle the bike with the engine off, hands on the bars, and your feet on the ground. You should be in neutral or at least have the clutch lever pulled in. Next, push the bars FORWARD. It only takes 30 or 40 lbs of force to raise the rear end until the seat hits your backside.

You have now learned the "secret" that makes it look easy. Now crank it up and go try it as you are stopping. You will learn to control the height of the rear wheel by front brake force and bar input. The same thing applies when doing stationary hops, but since you do not have momentum to assist, bar input is much more important.

Move your hips in the desired direction. If you want it to go to the right compress suspension moving hips down and left, front brake on extend moving hips across to the right and pre empt the momentum on landing or your body will keep going and you will end up dabbing.

im guessing its all about technique ie if its difficult then im doing it wrong then?

i find it difficult to get the push behind the bars and push forward rather than down on the bars..

Edited by bruces670

BIG DISCLAIMER### I'm no expert..but:-

(ONLY practice this on dry tarmac first :marky: )

Turn the bars slightly to the right,lean bike slightly to the right.... and time this all together:-

1) Grab front brake.

2) Push forward ont bars (bias to the left).

3) Collapse your knees.

4) Move your hips 'n' heels left.

Then ,err, land !

:blink: ***The 'bar turn' and 'lean' procedure really seems to make the back end 'buck-up' easier, compared to having the bars straight and bike perpendicular***..I don't know why?

This helps me get the feel for the technique.

Then practice to the left...then lessen the lock 'n' lean on less grippy surfaces.

ok guys update,im getting better but still not consistent,i think im missing the technique a little as im being so physical and knacking myself out, but im DETERMINED to get it right,anybody free for coaching lessons lol :thumbup:

If you have a mountain bike, it can be useful to practice on the bike, turning the bars slightly really helps, and you don't get tired as quickly. Helps if you're going downhill slightly.