Splitting a TY175 Crankcase

ivorybull

Do you use a crankcase splitting tool or use the Haynes Manual method of taping the crank shaft?

I'm thinking of making up a tool to pull it apart rather than risking damage.

I would try taping the cases with a soft mallet, could even try a little heat around the joint with a hot air gun, have the cases not parted at all?..is it completely stuck. I did make a tool for pushing them apart but the main reason they didn't want to split in my case was the screw behind the gear change mechanism which was covered in grease and didn't realize it was there, once this one was removed mine came apart.

How did you hold the case in place when you tapped it. If you protect the crank shaft and tap the end it should push the cases apart but I was struggling to hold the front part of the case still when tapping the shaft to push them apart.

How did you hold the case in place when you tapped it. If you protect the crank shaft and tap the end it should push the cases apart but I was struggling to hold the front part of the case still when tapping the shaft to push them apart.

put the engine on a bit of carpet,sump to the ground, and a sharp tap on the end of the crank should get it started, no need to hold anything, just don't go mad.(100% SURE ALL THE BOLTS ARE OUT?)

Andy

Finally got the crankcase split last night.

You were right I had also missed the screw behind the gear shift mechanism which was covered in grease.

The rear engine mount was also corroded and a real pain in the rear to get apart but as the case is going in the bin I didn't need to worry too much about keeping it pristine so managed to gently lever it apart.

Thanks for the tips. Now for the swap over and rebuild

Iain