tank decales

bondy

hi all ive just got a new plastic tank. and was adviced not to put decales on as they come off when you put fuel in the tank is there any way round this? ive got the round badges was told they are ok because they have foil backing. any help would be greatfull

hi all ive just got a new plastic tank. and was adviced not to put decales on as they come off when you put fuel in the tank is there any way round this? ive got the round badges was told they are ok because they have foil backing. any help would be greatfull

Yep that is right, if you put the sticker on and leave the gasoline inside the tank you will get bubbles under the decals. If you want them to stay get a tank made out of glasfiber or aluminium.

The round bage sticks so good I personal don't think you will get a problem here.

Edited by PSchrauber

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/36919-non-standard-looking-sherpa/

Hi

There were various problems with the old style plastic/poly tanks back in the late 70s early 80s.

This was caused by the type of poly used which, as we know allowed the fumes to migrate through the plastic wall.

Modern materials have overcome this as is demonstrated by plastic petrol containers.

If you look at the thread above you will see how I have overcome this problem.

Basically the tank has been lined with a fuel resistant epoxy prior to the outer surfaces being primed, top coated, decals applied and the whole surface sealed with a clear (fuel resistant)laquer. Expensive but the results are worth it.

However I have a new poly tank for my next project and will not seal it internally just apply the decals and then laquer over the decals to stop the spilt fuel seeping under the decal and dissolving their adhesive.

I suspect (but cannot yet prove)that it is spilt fuel not fumes evaporating through a modern poly tank that lifts the decals.

The lacquers used are fuel resistant type that are developed for plastic bumpers.

Hope this is useful.

Martin

Edited by Triple_X

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/36919-non-standard-looking-sherpa/

Hi

There were various problems with the old style plastic/poly tanks back in the late 70s early 80s.

This was caused by the type of poly used which, as we know allowed the fumes to migrate through the plastic wall.

Modern materials have overcome this as is demonstrated by plastic petrol containers.

If you look at the thread above you will see how I have overcome this problem.

Basically the tank has been lined with a fuel resistant epoxy prior to the outer surfaces being primed, top coated, decals applied and the whole surface sealed with a clear (fuel resistant)laquer. Expensive but the results are worth it.

However I have a new poly tank for my next project and will not seal it internally just apply the decals and then laquer over the decals to stop the spilt fuel seeping under the decal and dissolving their adhesive.

I suspect (but cannot yet prove)that it is spilt fuel not fumes evaporating through a modern poly tank that lifts the decals.

The lacquers used are fuel resistant type that are developed for plastic bumpers.

Hope this is useful.

Martin

hi martin is it worth me buying some decals for my new poly tank?

Hi Bondy

I don't really know!!!

Richard(Sammy Millar products) told me today that the decals lift of after a while. Perhaps the Spanish supplier is still using the old spec polymer or polyprop.

So I think the best bet is to talk / ask on this site if any one can advise which make the resin sealer is best.

I cannot get an answer till Wednesday.

However if you can afford it Sammy Miller Products do a very nice fibre glass tank. Give Richard a call.

Kind regards

Martin