side stand

hoodie2

Hi. Got an 06 4rt with a crap stand, or at least the bracket is rubbish. Are the recent ones any better or am I as well trying to modify the one I have?

Cheers.

Edited by hoodie2

233 people have viewed this post and nobody appears to have an answer, so thought I'd try re wording the question. My problem with the side stand bracket is a common one, I think. The weight of the bike on the stand opens up the bend in the bracket so that the bike is lent over too far. To compound this the stand swings too far forward, making the angle all wrong and causing the bike to topple. This happens because the bracket has nothing to stop the stand extending too far. I'm thinking I could get a web welded on to the bracket to stop it bending and have the plate built up with weld to stop the over extension. If the current brackets are better and these problems have been solved then I'd maybe buy a new bracket instead. So the question is; have these issues been improved on the stands now used?

Cheers.

All Mont stands and brackets as far as I can tell are the same - 315/4rt. They are not the best but are serviceable if looked after. Having said the above the 4rts do seem better but appear the same design.

They are relatively cheap to buy a new bracket so maybe that is the answer if your current one is US. I just take care where I and how I park the bike and have been know to put a spot of weld on the stop to bring the stand back to just past vertical.

If you can improve it let us know.

Agree with 'jimmyl'. Added a drop of weld to my 315 stand to stop it rotating too far forward and causing the bike to fall. Did this and had no further problems. Never touched the bracket. The problem started when I carried the bike on a normal garden flat-bed trailer and not a bike trailer. Tied the bike down to the trailer with the stand down so that it had three points of contact with the trailer. During the drive, the inherent movement of the trailer worked the stand leg against the stand bracket and wore down the end-stop metal faces. After a short 30 minute drive the damage was done and the stand now over extended/rotated forward past the vertical allowing the bike to fall. I was surprised how quick and how much metal was eaten away.

So start with some weld on the stand leg and go from there.

For a bling stand, check out the Mitani 4Rt stand for around $150 - $200!