Rear Shock (way up)

airborn

The shock shouldn't be damaged which ever way up it is. I don't know if it was the only year it was used but the 2000TXT had a yellow multi-rate spring which was tapered having narrower coils at the bottom. If someone has fitted a parallel spring its possible that they had to invert the shock to fit it to the bike. When I uprated my spring I had to have a new extended collar made up to clear the bottom linkage. I've still got the original spring if you need one.

This makes sense... I've changed the spring (courtesy of being a tubby lad) and the shock only fitted this way up... I kind of (stupidly) assumed that if it didn't fit the other way up, it must be right...

So, no need to flip it back over you reckon? If so, how would I make it fit?

p.s. Sorry for hijack Andy...

The only real problem with having the shock body at the bottom is it increases inertia in the suspension, but having said that I doubt you'll notice a difference and Sherco have used shocks that way in the past and maybe still do? To use the shock as intended but with a different (parallel sided) spring you'll need to turn a new slotted collar or spring retainer which is thicker to raise the bottom of the spring so it clears the linkage as it moves.