How big a hole ?

gazzaecowarrior

Lots of interesting comments coming up here on this one.

Having worked with both electric motors and engines and gearboxes - in harsh environments and been involved directly with their design - I can say with absolute confidence that you CAN easily seal these items to prevent ingress of water etc. (think electric pond fountain for exanple)

A carefully applied seal comprising of a high grade silicone is all that is required to fix the issue with the leaking cover, assuming that there is no mechanical damage to the mating faces or indeed the rubber wire grommet/seal - so do check these as well !

To drill a hole is wrong. If the machine is then driven / stood in water it will find its way in be assured = damage!

I dont agree whatsoever that there would be potential issues with poping seals as suggested in an earlier post.

I need to check my own 4T on this point but if there is a breather (not ever looked to see if there is one ??) then ensure its clear and not blocked and is routed away from any risk of aggrivating the problem.

Good luck !

GAW

I think there has allways been a lot of debate here. I do recall seeing the drilling or V-groove reccos in the past for SSDT setup from some.

All yet, the basic fact remains, whatever might get IN needs a way OUT! Even if you think you have one perfectly sealed, one cannot ignore it, or corrosion will develop, which is probably more damaging than any direct water threat to the coils and such on the ignition, as they are sealed.

Having a bottom drain not only allows stuff out as direct dirt and water, but still allows moisture to evaporate with heat and things dry out. Having a top vent only still traps water and dirt in the bottom and may eventually evaporate the trapped water and leave the dirt!

Do the basic experiment. Drill a 3mm hole in the top of a pop bottle, turn it over and submerge it to see what comes in and out! Not much, but at least it has a way out!

Try as you like to achieve a perfect seal, yet I think it a mute point as compared to a positive drain and vent. Pick your poison here and be your own judge. Whichever you choose is all good, just watch it a bit. An occasional inspection and application of water repellant will not hurt in any case! :thumbup:

Edited by copemech