kick start return spring

bondy

Your kick-start return spring issue got curios in my view, please can you post a pic of your recent setup?

hi i cant post pic. the only thing i can do is exsplane hear we go first of all i put the spring over the shaft. and put the stright bit of the spring in the shaft no problems by the way the kick start shaft is in its normal position at this stage. the hook end of the spring is resting on the casing at this stage. then i wind the kick start back as fare as it wil go then i hook the otther end of the spring on the threaded bolt. and put the nut on. dosent return dosnt seem to be anough tenstion on the spring. must be doing somthing wrong help please. ive lookt at my other bike and when you kick it over it seems to coil up alot more :guinness:

cna you wind the spring around one more turn to add more tension?

hi again does the spring need to be coiled up when the kick start is turnd back? makes sens so when you let go it returns? do i put the pin in the shaft when its in normal positaon? this ive done and wind it fully back then hookt the spring on the bolt but theres not enough tenson so im going to try and wind it round with a good pare of pliers and a spring puller think this where it gets hard and ill need anougher person to help me

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted mine today. Pushed the spring onto the spindle with the hole at 12 o'clock, then held the straight end of the spring in a pair of needle-nosed vise-grips, and pulled it round one whole turn clockwise. I levered the first winding of the spring upwards(the one with the straight end) with a screwdriver placed under the first winding, over the top of the remainder of the spring and resting on the engine case to lift it up high enough to slide in the hole, and with a third hand, guided it in with some needle nosed pliers.

Done in 5 minutes!

I tried previously by cutting a few mm off of the end of the spring, but I see now that it the "extra" length is there to stop the spring unwinding along the length of the shaft when you press the kickstart, and also served to fatigue the metal which ended in it pinging away over the horizon....