New to gas gas.

blomster

Hi, Bought a Gas Gas 93/94/95 model cheap as it was in bits. Started doing her up, everything, sweet then came across some stripped threads in left crankcase. Thread is too close to a bearing to be helicoiled.

I feel I have been ripped off, since the guy who sold it to me never mentioned it, I thought I would overlook it and have been trying to find a way to repair it. However it seems it is not possible to repair. I found what I thought was the right crankcase half on fleabay but on comparing it is obviously not the right one.

The one for sale has the carb port on the crankcase yet mine is on the barrel. According to the frame number mine is a 94 model. Can anyone cofirm this this ? Are the engines from 93 to 95 interchangeable ?.

Thanks.

Hi blomster,

The piston ported model is 1992, have a look for the engine number to correctly ID the motor. From 1993, the motor was case reed induction. As mentioned, a photo of the problem would help. It may be possible to use a helicoil and maybe carefully grind back the part of the helicoil that would protrude through the bearing housing, using a Dremmel or similar die grinder. Sounds a bit odd for a stud to be located so close to a bearing housing. Crank area or gearbox?

Bye, PeterB.

Thanks for the replies, and cheers for that link gasgas249uk. After looking at the diagrams it seems I got it wrong. The front forks appear to be identical to the 1993 model. And the carb input is on the barrel. I am just charging my phone, I will post a pic soon as I can.

The stripped threads are the ones that hold the clutch actuator to the casing. The bottom one is too close to a bearing to helicoil. Although the previous owner obviously was going to do that as it had already been drilled and has cut away a small portion of the bearing housing.

If it cannot be helicoiled I was thinking I could just bolt it through with a nut on the inside of the casing providing theres room inside for the nut. only problem being you would need to split the case if you needed to remove the clutch actuator. But how often would you need to remove it anyway ? Maybe thats the solution if there is no other option.

Cheers.

I recon youve got enough space to use a helicoil.

It looks like there is a crack from the hole your worried about to the bearing , or is it my eyes. It's probably just a surface mark.

I've been helicoiling today and they don't use much space , only 2 mm on each side of the hole.

I recon youve got enough space to use a helicoil.

It looks like there is a crack from the hole your worried about to the bearing , or is it my eyes. It's probably just a surface mark.

I've been helicoiling today and they don't use much space , only 2 mm on each side of the hole.

Yes that is a small crack. The hole has already been drilled for a helicoil and part of the bearing outer race is exposed in the hole, but only a small part so I think the PeterB's Idea of carefully grinding back the protruding part of the helicoil could work.