2001 Rev3 250 Ignition setting

liviob

Yesterday I had a chance to ride this bike for the first time after a year spent refreshing it. I discovered that it dosent feel all that much different than my 290 Evo. I really like the smooth power delivery of this motor however i would like a little more power. I would like to try to recover the power lost to high altitude. The engine easily loses 20% of its power at the altitudes i ride at. I am considering advancing the ignition as far as is safe or to the stop if possible. Anyone know how far it is safe to advance the ignition? It does have an extra flywheel on the clutch side of the crank. removing this would speedup the rpm spoolup. I could also shave the head to bump the compression some. I would like to start with the ignition advance since it costs no money and is fairly easy. Anyone have any thoughts about ignition advance?

Unfortunatly, a change in timing cannot get more air into the motor! You can compress the ambient air a bit more to add a bit of power if you use good fuel. Advanceing ignition in an effort to draw out full power of the fuel should be done 1 mm at a time on the plate, untill you cannot stand the stalling and kickback. Watch the high temp runs as more heat is retained in the motor. :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

Thanks Copemech. Mainly i want this motor to pull second gear a little better. When i rode it the other day i noticed that the previous owner had set the jetting very lean. So lean that the spark arrestor screen was grey/white. I couldnt fix it with an air screw adjustment. I'll ride it again after sorting the jetting before making any more changes. If i can get what i'm after with jetting changes I'll stop there.

Have you considered a set of Boyesen Power Reeds - dual stage reeds. will improve bottom end, normally need to lean the main and close down the air screw (and maybe sometimes increase the pilot/slow jet). But not sure about the altitude influence.

Funny you would mention the Boyesen reeds. I forgot that i do have a fresh set of them installed and i had to richen the air screw so maybe they did have some effect on jetting.

When i installed the vforce reed i discovered that i did not install the boyesen reed petels.

Edited by Liviob