Manmade Obstacles

motohead

I have a small sideyard (10'wide X 40' long) that I want to set up as a practice area. Its small but I dont have to drive. What is a easy to build obstacle to practice on for a total beginner? Wire reels, pallets, picnic table, what?

I have a similar area for practicing and it was really easy to set up.

Pallets are good but they aften fall apart, you can set them up at different angles to make them easy or impossible(diferent types of palettes are different to ride, big gaps between planks=more grip), stones or wide rocks would be good to support those.

If you can get some a couple of old oil drums are allways good, they get slippy and if you can dig a hole for them or jam it between two things then it should be good.

The other thing which we have are three big railway sleepers which are useful for making ramps and small steps.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Guest Villie

So, if you can dig a hole for an old oil drum it will generally stay in place?

Hopefully some one can post some pictures of these sections, i would love some insperation :)

This is a section we had set up this morning for practicing on push bikes. It's really simple but really good fun as you can make gaps wider as you improve and put things in at awkward angles.

post-2-1111582411.jpg

Edited by bob

We fill the oil drums with concrete..they dont move much then..and we use big old truck tyres..and yep..railway sleepers are great..so are huge rocks..but both of those are probably gonna be pricey.

Good luck..wish I had a bit of land at the back of my house

I have a couple friends who are tree climbers. They dropped off some log chunks that we have in about 15x25 ft area, 5 logs, each about 5 ft long, long enough for safety. One has part of a fork, it doesn't roll around and it gives a couple more angles to attack.

Call some tree services, they have to pay dearly to get rid of logs too big for the chipper (i.e. just what trials folk want, maybe 18-36 inches diameter). They may not want to mess with only a couple pieces, but if you can take a small dump truck load, they like to dump them for free instaed of paying to dump.

k