seal behind clutch basket

bondy

Hello Bondy, The seal should be flush with the case also don`t forget the O`ring on the clutch shaft. Bully Lover.

hi bullylover thanks for that. on my other bully the exhaust is leting smoke out abit at the manifold its had a new copper gasket when i took it off looks like sombody had put sealant round the manifold it looks like the metal plate that gose over the 4 bplts as got a slight bend in it so i dont think it sealing it hence the smoke id have to buy a new front pipe but think ill put some gasket sealant on it cheers bondy

Hi

Two things

Seal behind clutch basket should be slightly proud, not flush. This is pictured in the bultaco manual. I can only assume that when flush it is too near the end of the sealing surface.

Regarding the exhaust plate, I had the same problem and just sqeezed it flat in the vice. It distorts because people are too heavy handed when tightening. Just get a new gasket and a bit of (not a lot) exhaust sealant and make sure that the sealant is between to flange on the pipe the the clamping plate recess then a smear on each face of the gasket and you have a good seal.

But do not force it tight, gently tighten each M6 nut in turn to make sure you have an equal gap. Oh, leave the rear bracket loose at this stage and then tighten after everything is lined up.

It works for me!

Martin

Edited by Triple_X

Hello all. I did some investigating today up at a mate`s place where I store my Sherpa. He has about 32 Bultacos up there which I keep running and he also has 6 or 7 old crank cases as well and the only case which had the main shaft seal sitting proud was a M85 which is a 71 to 74 Alpina 250. That one was the only old case with the seal sitting proud. I assume the manual you are refering to is the Clymer so I had a look in both versions of it, old and new and the picture I think you are looking at was figure 117 which is proud but if you look at figures 77,78,82,83,84 and 89 they are all flush with the case. The best way is to put the new one in the same as the old one. I then pulled the primary case of my Sherpa and it is flush, it is a M151 engine. That is all. Bye. Bully Lover.

Hi

Two things

Seal behind clutch basket should be slightly proud, not flush. This is pictured in the bultaco manual. I can only assume that when flush it is too near the end of the sealing surface.

Regarding the exhaust plate, I had the same problem and just sqeezed it flat in the vice. It distorts because people are too heavy handed when tightening. Just get a new gasket and a bit of (not a lot) exhaust sealant and make sure that the sealant is between to flange on the pipe the the clamping plate recess then a smear on each face of the gasket and you have a good seal.

But do not force it tight, gently tighten each M6 nut in turn to make sure you have an equal gap. Oh, leave the rear bracket loose at this stage and then tighten after everything is lined up.

It works for me!

Martin

hi thanks for the addvice ill take the exhaust off and put it in a vice. as for the seal im not sure i ask bultaco uk. and they said flush with the casing im not ruling your theory out as i looked in the workshop manual from bultaco uk but this could of been anoughther model ill check cheers bondy