4rt oil filter change help!

jcam

hi, just got a montesa 4rt 2009 model. As with all new bikes i get i wanted to do a service on it. i have drained oil and that and removed all nesessary bits n bobs but cant seem to get oil filter passed flywheel? do i have to remove flywheel or am i doing something wrong? many thanks

Strangest thing in the world - Old filter is a pain to get out - New one will go in no problem.

Watch out for spring behind filter. Use blob of grease to hold in on reassembly.

Make sure o ring doesn't get nipped when pushing retaining plate back in. Lube to assist.

Also make sure retaining plate is in square before doing up retaining clamp. If not square, flywheel cover will not line up on dowels.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, just got a montesa 4rt 2009 model. As with all new bikes i get i wanted to do a service on it. i have drained oil and that and removed all nesessary bits n bobs but cant seem to get oil filter passed flywheel? do i have to remove flywheel or am i doing something wrong? many thanks

Hia, I'm in the same boat as you matey. I just got a 2008 montesa 4rt, did the crank case oil and the gear box oil, what a Twa* it was to for me being the first time ive ever worked on a 4rt. I had hassle with a number of things, firstly was the removal of the oil filter, i managed in the end and on putting new one back in the o ring was a Twa+ to put in place, Job done though.

The clutch side was alot easier to do thank goodness. The last and only part i am still struggling with is replacing the bash plate. When I took it off it sprang off once I loosened the bolts on the front. Trying to put it back in place will have to be done tomorrow morning with the assistance of a mate.

PS when you ever buy a bike off someone never take it for granted that it has been serviced recently. When I got the bike home I was discusted at the state of the oils and filter, it obviously hasnt been done recently. It was jet black and the oil filter was happed up to the nines with black gundge. Im ganna check the water level and air filter tomorrow, to see if there is any more supprizes in stall for me before she goes out on a welly dabbing sesh.

Ah the joyz of playing with spanners and socket sets.

Hope all goez well on her maiden voyage the morra

;)