Clutch question

dekon

Hello all,

I have a 2004 Rev 3 270. It is new to me and I have ridden the bike a few times and all was fine. Last time I took it out, I had no clutch until the bike was warmed up. Then it worked fine. I checked the master cylinder; fluid was fine and looked for leaks but there were none. Not sure if this matters, but the bike sat for a few weeks between rides. Anyone have any ideas on what to check?

Thanks

Hello all,

I have a 2004 Rev 3 270. It is new to me and I have ridden the bike a few times and all was fine. Last time I took it out, I had no clutch until the bike was warmed up. Then it worked fine. I checked the master cylinder; fluid was fine and looked for leaks but there were none. Not sure if this matters, but the bike sat for a few weeks between rides. Anyone have any ideas on what to check?

Thanks

This happened to me when i picked up my secondhand 2010 Sherco 2 months ago. Mine had been sitting for weeks at the dealer without use before i picked it up. Sometimes the clutch plates stick together after lack of use so you need to get it warmed up and into 3rd or 4th gear until the plates release. I ride mine every 2-3 days so it hasn't been a problem since.

cheers

The clutch sticking after sitting is common. On my new Sherco I just get it started, push the bike so that when I put it in gear the bike is already moving, then after rolling a few feet I pull in the clutch and push on the rear brake and the clutch releases.....and it works fine after that.

When I bought my used Sherco the clutch became much harder to release and I could ride for several minutes before it would release. I took the clutch apart and cleaned the plates, then I placed a sheet of fine sandpaper on a flat counter and lightly rubbed the fiber discs across the sandpaper to remove the glaze, and did the same on the metal plates. I then cleaned the plates and oiled them while assembling the clutch - and it worked fine again. I believe the problem is that when the plates get very smooth the oil makes an air tight seal and the plates don't want to release.

I believe the problem is that when the plates get very smooth the oil makes an air tight seal and the plates don't want to release.

That's true but also it comes down to the oil you use or the crappy oil someone else might have used in he past.

Once there's no tacky residue on the plates then using a synthetic 5w 30 oil will fix this problem for good. :thumbup:

Best of balance.

Neo