Montesa 349

calsop49

Hi, looking for help with Montesa 349 (51M).

Firstly my son thought he could race around field on my recently purchased 349 like he does on his Crf250, unfortunatley the 349 protested. It now jumps into gear when you kick it over, any ideas??

Also when I have taken clutch casing off to have a look I noticed the crankshaft balance weight is missing, replaced with bodged up steel tube, would it be better with the balance weight on ?? (crankshaft seems Ok under sleeve)

Lastly for now, anybody got supply of pistons, only pistons I can find are Kevin Breedon Racing or Sammy Miller (No price advertised)

Thanks In Hope, Mark.

Hi, looking for help with Montesa 349 (51M).

Firstly my son thought he could race around field on my recently purchased 349 like he does on his Crf250, unfortunatley the 349 protested. It now jumps into gear when you kick it over, any ideas??

Also when I have taken clutch casing off to have a look I noticed the crankshaft balance weight is missing, replaced with bodged up steel tube, would it be better with the balance weight on ?? (crankshaft seems Ok under sleeve)

Lastly for now, anybody got supply of pistons, only pistons I can find are Kevin Breedon Racing or Sammy Miller (No price advertised)

Thanks In Hope, Mark.

Hi

The dedent spring and plunger are located behind a chrome nut on the back of the engine near the rear mounting have a look at that as if the spring is broken the bike will drop into gear.

As for a piston I had a K Breedon one recently its not the exact piston for a 349 and needs a lot of work to fit! try Immotion trials for a genuine piston they have stock at times dependant in required size.

Hi

The dedent spring and plunger are located behind a chrome nut on the back of the engine near the rear mounting have a look at that as if the spring is broken the bike will drop into gear.

As for a piston I had a K Breedon one recently its not the exact piston for a 349 and needs a lot of work to fit! try Immotion trials for a genuine piston they have stock at times dependant in required size.

Hi

Thanks for reply, took bolt out all seemed Ok, stretched spring a bit & put back. On the gear linkage there is a cam adjuster, not sure what it adjusts. Debating if I should split engine & replace seals etc & check gearbox out.

• 2 weeks later...