poly tank

bondy

too many years ago during materials tec lessons the lecturer was describing how the "fillers" in polymers precipitate out over time: fillers being "crap" added in to bulk up the material at low cost. He described the net result appearance wise as an oily skin forming on the surface. Is this the problem withthese tanks if so can't see a practical long term solution.

These tanks were never made to take stickers. Originally they were screen printed (or whatever it was) onto the plastic. Also, the texture of the plastic is too rough to get good adhesion anyway.

Interesting comments about the oily skin, something new I've learnt.

These tanks were never made to take stickers. Originally they were screen printed (or whatever it was) onto the plastic. Also, the texture of the plastic is too rough to get good adhesion anyway.

Interesting comments about the oily skin, something new I've learnt.

ok guys ill just leave the tank with the round badges on. i have a good alloy tank witch needs a respray is it ok to have the tank powerder coated?

ok guys ill just leave the tank with the round badges on. i have a good alloy tank witch needs a respray is it ok to have the tank powerder coated?

I would personal not powder coat the gas tank. The powder coating will prbably last longer, but it's not easy to do any repairs.

If you want to recoat the tank, you need to get the tank blasted.

I would do (and did) a paint job, then put the decals on and thereafter a coat with clear paint on PU-Base (polyurethane),

this will protect the decals and give the color/surface a visual depth too.

If the surface got scratched and you accidential got a dent, it's easy to get the paint off with paint stripper,

then bagging out the dent and again a new paint coat. There are spray cans in RAL 5015 available.