TY350 85 or 86?

shooter308

I just sold my 74 TY 250 to a friend because I was tired of always having to clean the points and stator to get the coil to produce a spark, but I did buy a either 85 or 86 TY 350 from my dad. It has gold rims, new tires, new rear fender, etc. Is there a VIN decoder that I can use to figure out which year it is?

It runs good but I have to mod a FMF silencer onto the exhaust pipe. The head pipe has a hairline crack in it in the chamber area and I was wondering if I could mig weld it carefully? The headpipe looks like an aftermarket one because it definitely doesn't look like the stock pipe I've seen in photos on the web.

Also, the bike didn't come with a headlight assembly on it, and I was wondering if I could use a square style headlight from a Yamaha TT or IT 80's motorcycle?

I'd like to install a side stand on the bike and was wondering if a Yamaha TT side stand would be an easy swap?

Anyone else retrofit a headlight from another bike onto their TY350?

Thanks,

Doug

Edited by Shooter308

If it has a remote reservoir on the rear shock, it's an '86.

I think everything else is the same.

That is great info to know. I'll look when I get home from work to see what it looks like. I'll take some pics and upload them so you can see what I'm working with.

I just ordered a brand new clutch lever as the one on it is partially broke off but it still works.

Thanks.

Edited by Shooter308

I looked at the rear shock and I didn't see a remote rezzy, then I ran the VIN;

1985 YAMAHA TY350

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIN:JYA46Y005FA00XXXX

World region:Asia

Manufactured in:Japan

Year:1985

Make:Yamaha

Model:TY350

Body style:Trail

Drive type:RWD

Cylinders:1 Cylinders

I feel I still got a great buy for a great running TY350 for $350.

• 11 months later...

hi, no just turn the carb upside down with the weight of the floats resting on the needle then measure the height. might be worthwhile to remove the needle and inspect for wear or it may just need a clean. hope this helps

If it has a remote reservoir on the rear shock, it's an '86.

I think everything else is the same.

The 86' runs a smaller rear sprocket due to a slightly different primary ratio

than the 85'. I've had my 85 since new, still fun to ride.

Jon

I ran a compression check and the motor cold has 120 #. I've checked the spark plug and it is chocolate brownish/black in color and it produces a nice healthy blue spark, and the air filter is brand new.

I've taken the carb apart twice now to clean it because when I got it from my dad it had some old gas in the tank.

It has a 146 main and 38 pilot jet in it, and I live at 1900' elevation, and the float is set to 22mm. I took the carb apart and blew out the jets, ports, and orifices with my air compressor.

The reeds look normal and intact even though I didn't take the reed cage off the bike.

The throttle slide opens all the way up under full throttle and closes normally when the twist throttle is returned to idle position.

The bike starts up on the first or second kick and idles great, but when I give it throttle, it doesn't want to accelerate very much at all, like it doesn't have the fuel to produce power.

My dad said when he rode it before I bought it from him, it had lots of power, but it did sit for a few months in between him riding it and me buying it from him.

I'm to the point of buying a different carb for it, but which is best - a VM26 round slide, or a PK27, or?

Anyone have any starting points for jetting a VM26 carb for a TY350?