Rev 3 wont start / died

oddball

Whilst out riding today, my rev3 250 2008 just died, went over a rock nothing dramatic as i'm a new rider, and the bike just cut out and wouldn't restart.

I have changed the plug - nothing, checked sparking - no spark :unsure:

Where / how do I start to diagnose this problem, any help from the experts out is appreciated!!

Thanks

:D

Not the kill switch have disconnected that, other wiring looks fine .. this is starting to feel like its going to be an expensive fix!!

I have no idea how to test if its the stator - cdi - rectifier ..bit stumped really??

Also I guess I have to remove the radiator and all its gubbins to get access to the electric bits?

Thanks everyone .. btw if it makes any difference the bike hasn't been playing up at all, no rough running, spluttering or anything like that, just died :rolleyes:

I have removed the rad this afternoon, I am confident the wiring is all in good nick and correct, I have no lighting wiring, andhave had a good shufty through this and mine is spot on :thumbup:

http://www.newenglandtrials.org/Beta_wiring.pdf

I have now removed the coil / cdi and regulator, just need to know how to test them, also how can I test that the stator is working / or not :(

I have a multimeter, not much idea how to use it, but sure I can manage this .. need to - I have no brass to take it to a dealer :ph34r:

Thanks everyone for the help so far :icon_salut:

Sorry to say it's almost impossible to diagnose the stator with a multimeter. I have an LCR bridge and I can't tell whether a trigger coil (the usual culprit) has gone south on a stator. I think the best option is to send it here along with the CDI unit. They can tell you if it's dead and how much to fix.

http://www.uk-motoplat.com/home.html

Edited by Dan Williams

Nobody can test a CDI properly, you check the stator and the coil and if it isn't them then you swap the CDI

Resistance is a poor test of a stator, don't expect your meter or even a dealers meter to tell the truth (resistance is futile)

You need to do a peak volt test on it by kicking the bike and testing the power source and pick up for voltage, but you need a special adaptor or the numbers don't make sense, even an adaptor from another brand won't work

Sorry for the bad news about testing the stuff yourself but......on the positive side, Its almost always the stator and almost always the pick up coil

Thanks everyone, I have spoken to both Lampkins and Steve at Motoplat - sounds like the stator

Shame as Ive only ridden the bike 4 times since owning it.

I hope the electrics on the new evo have been improved!!!

No im affraid not ive got a 2010 300 4 stroke evo and yes you've guessed it the stator went when it was 5 monthes old

Thats poor to say the least, thought I may avoid these issues buying a late in the producion run machine.It makes no sense when the problem has been so well documented.

The only plus was beta have re positioned the stator in the evos to just inside cover so only a 5 min job to change complete unit , would have thought beta would have corrected the issues by know all I can say is thank god for Lampkins support