Ohlins Rear Shock Spring Length

moulder75

Have been riding with my new ohlins rear shock for a few months but thought I should set it up in accordance with the manual. I weight 10.5 stone (approx) and seem to be winding the spring until almost to its tighest point to match the measurments quoted in the manual (wheel off ground length - length when stoof on bike). I have a yellow spring which I thought was designed for people slighly heavier than me hence I would imagine that the spring length would have to be at almost its longest to suit my weight.

If anyone has an Ohlins fitted, what is the length of your spring? And did you manage to set it up in accordance with the manual?

Cheers

Tony

PS - The shock feels ok no matter what the spring length is, as to be honest I do not know what is good or bad etc.

Edited by moulder75

Have been riding with my new ohlins rear shock for a few months but thought I should set it up in accordance with the manual. I weight 10.5 stone (approx) and seem to be winding the spring until almost to its tighest point to match the measurments quoted in the manual (wheel off ground length - length when stoof on bike). I have a yellow spring which I thought was designed for people slighly heavier than me hence I would imagine that the spring length would have to be at almost its longest to suit my weight.

If anyone has an Ohlins fitted, what is the length of your spring? And did you manage to set it up in accordance with the manual?

Cheers

Tony

PS - The shock feels ok no matter what the spring length is, as to be honest I do not know what is good or bad etc.

Is it child's bike its going on? :rotfl: Bit flash splashing out on an ohlins, you should be saving your cash for rear mudguards mate.

Billy - Now that the old chap is grafting them back together with aluminium and pop rivets I can splash out lol.

Anyone got an Ohlins hints and tips?

None, not had an Ohlins since my last Raga. Chris may be your man for that. Why not just get a showa?

Some people do talk garbage!!! We had ours supplied via the guy who did Wiggy's when he rode 125 GasGas and as he said it's no use having all the power in the world if the shock cannot control the rear wheel. And that's what the Ohlins does better than the Sachs and Paoili on the back of the Gasser and Beta. Our's has been back and rebuilt and repaired since and has been brilliant. Nathan Wigglesworth had one fitted to the back of his Beta and he loves it.

I suspect the Yellow Spring isn't the correct one. The Ohlins on the back of my Son's 300 GasGas has a black Spring and He's about your weight. Check via TrialsUK as they supply the different springs. I suspect you need either the 60N which is for 10 stone or probably better the 70N which is 13 Stone and then adjust to taste.

Oh and as for Showa. They are a good shock on the Montesa but I wouldn't put one on a Beta.

Edited by Telecat

One of the guys I ride with has an Ohlins on his Beta Factory 300. He is your weight and His shock came with 70N/mm spring and 6mm preload. Hope this helps. Kurt

Sorry, can you explain what you mean by 6mm preload? Is that 6mm compression shorter (using the c spanner) from the total (uncompressed) length?

What colour was the spring?

Thanks for the info

Im off into the shed to go tinker....

Tony

Edited by moulder75

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, can you explain what you mean by 6mm preload? Is that 6mm compression shorter (using the c spanner) from the total (uncompressed) length?

What colour was the spring?

Yes 6mm preload added to uncompressed spring

I chose yellow for my spring,black was also available