TLR200 choke problem.

bhg

I have just bought a TLR200, it runs PERFECTLY when warm, but it won't tick over when cold on choke and stalls if I don't keep the revs up.

I have cleaned the carb and blown it through with an air-line, and the butterfly valve seems to be working.

It is the right carb for the bike, the jets are standard, needle is 2nd groove from the top, and the rubber O-rings are good.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi, having had carb problems of my own with a tlr200 I can sympathise.How much choke are you using? I find that full choke is only required for a few seconds then reduce it to about half till the engine labours a bit, then put it off altogether. The choke on most Hondas i've come across is a bit savage, but you'll soon get to learn how much it needs, and for how long. Hope this is of some help. Dave

From cold it starts 2nd kick on FULL choke, but I have to keep the revs up or it stalls.

It takes a couple of minutes to warm up and tick over without stalling, even with the choke full on.

As I understand most carbs increase the amount of fuel delivered when the choke is on, and if this is not happening it would explain my problem.

Does anyone know if this is the case with a Keihin PO8A carb, and if so how?

Edited by bhg

As mentioned before you may be leaving the choke on too long. If it starts on second kick choke is functioning fine. If bike runs great when warm then the slow, mid, and main circuits are fine. That really only leaves too much choke. Once it starts push coke lever down about 1/4 to 1/3 (3/4-2/3 full choke). Yes you may have to keep it revd at about 2000 rpm for a little bit. You can't just let it idle normally. This is nature of most four strokes. If you hear engine laboring (heavy sounding or black smoke) take more of the choke off. Should be able to run no choke after 2-3 minutes and idle ok then.

I just took a look at the spark plug and it's not the correct one for the bike, infact it's nowhere near.

I will fit the right one and see if it makes any difference.

Every bike I have owned has had high revs on choke but not this one.

My TLR200 was kind of similar. Turning in the idle speed screw about 1/3 to 1/2 turn before starting works. After a couple of minutes idling, it can be turned down.

The choke on this carb has nothing to produce a high idle. It simply blocks air flow to increase vacuum at the jets.

Edited by mcman56