New Scorpa

austini

Have just had my first trial on my new 2011 280 Scorpa:

Faults:

Paint work on the tank is really naff! and is already peeling around the screw holes.

Stickers have been put on by someone with 10 minutes remaining on his shift.

Bike stalled numerous times until I discovered the fuel line was twisted under the tank.

Spark plug cap is a pain to get back on, not alot of room.

Quality of the front mudguard is very poor, very dull plastic.

Good points:

Excellent handling, very predictable.

Motor is a dream, last of the old sherco motors so hopefully all the problems should be ironed out.

Suspension is spot on strait from the crate.

I have owned 7 scorpa's and still have a SY250 aniversary model, this new beast is really an improvment in the handling and motor department but the quality of the paint work and graphics does let it down.

Having the only one in western australia everyone wanted a ride and apart from the quality of the paint work and graphics the response was 100% positive, a lot better than the first OSSA which is still yet to sell here in WA.

Will anyone else buy one here? probably not! Beta/Sherco and Gassers make up 95% of the 80 or so bikes here which is a shame.

Whats the price compared to the others?

Have just had my first trial on my new 2011 280 Scorpa:

Faults:

Paint work on the tank is really naff! and is already peeling around the screw holes.

Stickers have been put on by someone with 10 minutes remaining on his shift.

Bike stalled numerous times until I discovered the fuel line was twisted under the tank.

Spark plug cap is a pain to get back on, not alot of room.

Quality of the front mudguard is very poor, very dull plastic.

Good points:

Excellent handling, very predictable.

Motor is a dream, last of the old sherco motors so hopefully all the problems should be ironed out.

Suspension is spot on strait from the crate.

I have owned 7 scorpa's and still have a SY250 aniversary model, this new beast is really an improvment in the handling and motor department but the quality of the paint work and graphics does let it down.

Having the only one in western australia everyone wanted a ride and apart from the quality of the paint work and graphics the response was 100% positive, a lot better than the first OSSA which is still yet to sell here in WA.

Will anyone else buy one here? probably not! Beta/Sherco and Gassers make up 95% of the 80 or so bikes here which is a shame.

I actually got quite a bit off the list price to promote the bike in Western Australia but would of paid the list price regardless.

All the current machines have similar running gear and most have excellent reviews with little or no bad points reported by the press therefore it comes down to brand loyalty and how one bike feels against another. I have tested all the current crop of machines and the Scorpa works for me, will it improve my riding ability I very much doubt it. Saying that it does feel more stable and lighter than my SY so only time will tell.

I actually got quite a bit off the list price to promote the bike in Western Australia but would of paid the list price regardless.

All the current machines have similar running gear and most have excellent reviews with little or no bad points reported by the press therefore it comes down to brand loyalty and how one bike feels against another. I have tested all the current crop of machines and the Scorpa works for me, will it improve my riding ability I very much doubt it. Saying that it does feel more stable and lighter than my SY so only time will tell.

This is where scorpa/sherco are missing a trick.

With old stock sherco parts it must be cheaper why not give that advantage to the customer to increase sales?

This is where scorpa/sherco are missing a trick.

With old stock sherco parts it must be cheaper why not give that advantage to the customer to increase sales?

Ah Nigel you are always so negative, relax! chill! breath it away!

As I said in my original post Beta/Sherco and Gassers make up 95% of the 80 or so bikes here so even if you knocked a $A1000 off the price the majority of riders would still go with the flow and what they know regardless of price.

Xispa had a go at the price game and failed miserably, saying that the product needed a lot more work which let it down unlike the Scorpa which is as good a machine as all the latest crop.

All I know is when our local Beta and Sherco dealers pulls into the paddock a crowd quickly gathers to replace the bits that snapped off at the last trial, yup I know I now have a sherco motor but at least I will only have to replace half the broken bits ;)

At the end of the day the Scorpa ticks all the right boxes for me, no pointless mapping, no computers, no fuel injection and no crazy engine that points the wrong way, give me something I can fix myself anyday!

As I said in my original post Beta/Sherco and Gassers make up 95% of the 80 or so bikes here so even if you knocked a $A1000 off the price the majority of riders would still go with the flow and what they know regardless of price.

Maybe thats the case for you wealthy Aussies, but here in the USA $1000. for a competetive product will buy a lot of market share.

Ah Nigel you are always so negative, relax! chill! breath it away!

Xispa had a go at the price game and failed miserably, saying that the product needed a lot more work which let it down unlike the Scorpa which is as good a machine as all the latest crop.

All I know is when our local Beta and Sherco dealers pulls into the paddock a crowd quickly gathers to replace the bits that snapped off at the last trial, yup I know I now have a sherco motor but at least I will only have to replace half the broken bits ;)

At the end of the day the Scorpa ticks all the right boxes for me, no pointless mapping, no computers, no fuel injection and no crazy engine that points the wrong way, give me something I can fix myself anyday!

not negative at all there is always a place for a budget bike, and btw which sherco/gas gas/beta2t has any of the list above?