06 300 Raga - Pinking sound but stops with choke on...Fixed!

waynerobshaw

Mate please pull the head off. There will be 6 years of carbon on the piston and head. It needs polishing off and probably put the jets back as they were. All 2t bikes need this maintenance.

We have a winner!

As I mentioned the other day, I decoked the head and it seemed better from pinking point of view. So, as an experiment, I reverted to the original pilot jet (33) and moved the needle back to its original position (second notch from bottom)....no pinking! :thumbup: So, thanks to all that mentioned the decoke!

So, the moral of the story, if its pinking, decoke the head before changing the carburation!

On decoking, anyone any tips on decoking the piston? I only did the head with fear of dropping crap down the cylinder.

Cheers,

Wayne

Edited by waynerobshaw

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have a winner!

As I mentioned the other day, I decoked the head and it seemed better from pinking point of view. So, as an experiment, I reverted to the original pilot jet (33) and moved the needle back to its original position (second notch from bottom)....no pinking! :thumbup: So, thanks to all that mentioned the decoke!

So, the moral of the story, if its pinking, decoke the head before changing the carburation!

On decoking, anyone any tips on decoking the piston? I only did the head with fear of dropping crap down the cylinder.

Cheers,

Wayne

I'm quite chuffed.... I'm in NZ and I helped "fix" a bike in UK.

On one bike i carefully scrapped off a soft carbon build up on a piston in position, put some oil on the rings and it fired up fine. On another the coke was hard so i removed the cylinder and wrapped the piston and crankcase in bags / rags, cleaned and polished, and reassembled. Remove the rings before starting (keep them in the same order / orientation!). You may need a cylinder base gasket.