Sherco or Beta

Hi All

I ride enduro and compete in hare and hounds, time cards etc and love it but want to get back into trialing as well as the enduro which I did as a kid. I have been looking at the Beta Evo and the Shercos both of which are the same price for a 2010 model. Any suggestions on which bike I should go with and why. Are the performance, weight, handling etc around the same for both bikes,

Thanks for your help

Nick

Edited by comerconstructionman

If you can put up with a somewhat cynical reply (based on personal experience) read om;... I have been running one of each ( Mrs & I) albeit 2011 models and I had a Beta prior to the Sherco. First observation is that all trials bike seem to be designed up and then made of cheapest possible parts. They all have good and bad points.

The Beta has a crap clutch and carburates not too well, it shakes bolts etc loose with as they say monotonous regularity, cleaning /changing the air filter is ridiculously longwinded, bearings (wheel crankshaft) fail prematurely. On the good side it is easy to ride and generally reliable or robust;.. the biggest plus is the good service/warranty care provided by the importer.

The Sherco has crap rear suspension, steers poorly, only 5 gears, on the plus side it feels light to handle, the clutch is sweet as are the brakes, it stays put together and is very easy to service. I would like to buy another Sherco(2012) but won't because ( to put it mildly) I was sadly dissapointed with the UK warranty service and it is not easiest bike to ride.

If I were living in South east where sections are generally not too big or straight I would be inclined to get a Beta or Gas Gas from a simple riding point of view they are more forgiving. No doubt you will get other opinions as there seems always to have been a big varablity in build quality (Friday PM or Monday AM bikes).... most guys are fiercly loyal & proud of thier choices, best thing is to try as many bikes as you can before you buy.

Have a try on a Scorpa SR, back end on par with a Beta with a reliable proven sherco engine. All the new crop of machines have engines, brakes and suspensions that 99% of us would never be able to fully utilise so go with your heart!

As others have already stated, its down to what you prefer. Deffinatly have a ride on both of them if possble.

I recently had a 04 sherco 125cc and just could not come to terms with it. So i traded it in against a 09 ev0 250cc and i couldnt fault it. I know theres a decent jump from an 04 125cc to a 09 250cc but am seriously over the moon with it.!!

• 3 weeks later...