Clutch O-rings Oil And Dot4 Contamination

gasgas

Did something rather stupid. :ph34r: In stead of reading this forum i just assumed that the clutch system of my new gasgas was the same as a hydraulic system of the ktm. Since Ktm uses hydraulic oil in their system i did the same with the gasgas after that i cleaned it.

It worked rather nicely but i now realise that some rubbers cld get detoriate because of this oil type. Anyone have any experience in this field of mishaps?

Do i need new rubbers from master till slave?

What exactly happened?

There are two types of oil, dot and mineral. If your gas gas reccomends any type of dot oil then using dot4 shouldn't have damaged it as their number is just about their boiling point ant their rate of moisture absorbtion or something like that, otherwise it is the same stuff, i think.

If it reccomends some other oil then you must use this as it could affect the o'rings, but you will notice weeping if it has.

I've heard that some brake fluids (NOT hydraulic oil) can damage the o rings on certain brake callipers...I think it was Brembo callipers.

I allways use DOT 5.1 on my Beta and that wont damage anything...including paintwork..so it dont matter if you spill it.

Sorry...doesnt really answer your question, but thats all I know on that one. :ph34r:

Thanks guys for the support.

I now realise that the clutch system is filled with brake fluid. We are talking about a 2002 Pro.

I assumed that the clutch system was filled with hydraulic fluid, and not brake fluid, like ktm has. I used very light mineral oil sae 2,5 to fill up the clutch system.

I also have heard that fluids can get the rubbers to swell, or detoriate.

So there is mine concern. Do i have to change back to brake fluid and change all the rubbers, O-rings?

there was quite a long posting that would be worth finding in the archives here.

Basically, three families of fluids:

1. glycols (brake fluids) in DOT (Dept of Transportation) certifications DOT 3, DOT 4, differeing by boiling point and water absoprtions. Glycols are water soluble and absorb water.

2. petroleum, mineral oils (hydr fluids, brake and clutch fluids, motor oilds )

3. Silicone based DOT 5 to add to confusion, DOT (5.1?) is NOT silicone based, but compatable with glycols. I have no idea why this number was picked.

Petroleum oils tend to swell & soften o-rings suitable for glycols, and vice versa. Common hardware store o-rings are who knows materials. Industrial ones are typical nitrile/Buna N suitable for oils. Glycol ones are different, one of the neoprenes that I have forgotten which.

Silicones are happy with either o-rings, but not with the fluids.

Some brake cleaner sprays can damage o-rings.

Swelling is usually a longer term thing, time and temperature related. If you got it out in a day or two, personally I would disassemble and flush everything throughly with the glycol fluid, put it all back together and try it, but get a caliper and master kit on order.

What sort of opinions on silicone fluids out there? I don't need the higher boiling, and I end up flushing a couple times a years, so moisture & corrosion is not an issue, so I stay with DOT 4. Also, most people run glycol and I don't want chance of any mixing.

As Stu said, paint get attacked by glycol. Are people happy with silicones for that reason?

k

Hey gasgas,

I see you got some parts coming, hopefully you found the information (from gasgas, the dealers, and or other posts here maybe also) that the 02 pro's ...if I read everything correctly better check... anyway had orings that were installed that aparently would swell over time, with fluid in tranny. Apparently they figured this out either half way through the 02 assembly or least by 03. technically there is an update, I believe mostly the new material orings, but also aluminum case instead of ???...

IIRC, there is a note about this at least on the gasgas (usa site) in the tech articles, I believe, get the new type is all ya do there, so I doubt the fluid you used caused the problem, nor is the symptom of you or anything you did.

Note to others readin thread... anyone else notice the 05's use different part #'s for the metal plates in the 05 pros than did the 04? each plate seems to have new number? where as in 04 they all the same part #.

I sure as heck would like to know what they are attempting to solve? I would update my 04, if it has to do with dragging when clutch is engaged? but if just a slipping issue, I dont have that problem? Help me out guys?

P.S. due to errors, check my info PLEASE before you act... my CRS acts up because of the fact that I read A LOT of stuff every single day, on web or what not, manuals, because I am the computer geek here at work.

Oke here it goes

I am going back using brake fluids again dot 4.

installed a new kit in the mastercilinder. Aswell put the new o-ring in the slavecilinder. The old one was swollen.

But now i recvd a new cap for the mastercilinder and it says:use mineral oil only :ph34r: . I understand that the new 05's uses mineral oil in the clutch system afterall.

Anyway bleeded the system and it is working alright.

So i hope the best for it concerning the o-rings.

thnks for the help and info.

jtlaw, i recvd the black o-rings so no problem there. I also recvd a new o-ring more an oil seal which i cldnot use. I believe that it is for the type 2003 clutch cases. Today had a clubtrial and the the clutch worked oke. Not great but i blame the new clutchplates for that :(

Had a different feel in the point of clutch engagement and that did not really help me since i am a freshman. Only ride trialbike for 3 months now.