Flywheel Puller

ginger_ninja54

Does anyone know what thread the inside of the flywheel is on my 95 gasgas contact 250?

need to get the flywheel off to adjust timing, and am hoping to make a flywheel puller to get it off.

looks to be about 26-27mm, metric fine? left hand?

YES! i know i could prob buy one for a tenner, but as well as being an engineer by trade, and therefore i enjoy making stuff i can use, i am also exceptionally tight!!

can't get pitch gauges in to check cos of the crank

any ideas anyone?

(a yam/honda/suzuki one don't fit, that's LH thread, but dont know what size.)

cheers!

77 views, and no-one got any ideas yet??!!!

Edited by Ginger_Ninja54

didnt have a good day friday i take it. saw you changing plugs and stuff. my mate says you went over the handlebars and started booting the bike. happens to us all. i got round on a 0 might have to move up :ph34r:

I have a 96 and 2000. After searching many sources, I could not find a generic and had to buy from GG. Price wasn't bad, just took two weeks to get it.

kcj

From my notes file:

Flywheel hub puller. Most Yamaha use 27 x 1.0 mm LH thread, external on tool, internal on flywheel.

GasGas appears to be 27 x 1.0 RH thread, external tool, internal wheel.

I forgot to add: given the price of flywheels and crankshafts, I would be very cautious about matching the thread. I am seriously 'financially limited', but many times figure I cannot afford to go the 'cheap' route as it costs too much in the long run!

Usually its a time issue that I build or modify a tool.

k

my mate says you went over the handlebars and started booting the bike

wasnt the best day in most respects, but still had an enjoyable one.

i did go a bit heavy on the front brake on my first section (3) (much,much more effective than my beta brakes!!), and had to abandon ship! but the only use of my boots was on the kick start!

All seems a great deal of hassle though to save very little money

you probably are right, but how much is the tool gonna cost? 10-15 quid? that money will pay for at least one entry fee, maybe 2. as such, i will happily endure vast amounts of hassle in which to allow me to ride the events that i would have had to miss out.

The puller would be a fairly easy tool to make, it wouldn't take that long, and if i can, i will.

but dont get me wrong - if something needs buying, i will. i'll just have to sell a kidney or something...... now which ebay catagory would that be?

I just had to make one for my '98 TXT. I had a puller for Honda's which was as you mentioned LH thread, while the gasgas was RH. M27 x 1.0 RH. Apparently (according to Jon from the GasGas website tech section) all of the kukosan ignitions have 27 x 1.0 RH thread, whereas most all japanese bike flywheels have a 27 x 1.0 LH.

Anyway - I like projects for my lathe so I just made one with RH thread. My lathe doesn't have metric threading, but since 1.0 mm pitch is 25.4 thds per inch, I just used a 26 thd/inch setting and it worked fine.

Hope that helps

Mathew

As it happened, i didnt have time last week to get on the machines at work to knock one up, so i had to buy one friday eve. :( ! (hondaRS - you win!! lol)

this was the one listed in the book as correct - M27xP1.... this however was not the correct one as fitted on my bike, my local dealer (S&R) was really helpful though, and let me try different ones, the one that fitted was M26xP1.5! he said he can remember using it on gassers in the past, but couldnt remember what size or type. (its a ducati flywheel.)

so there we have it......

have altered timing......but thats a whole new post...!