evo exhaust/frame/mystery rattle?- help

twinkletoes

Thanks for the reply was your dad's bike still in warranty when they changed the exhaust mine is out of warranty

Cheers

I'm not 100 percent sure, But I think it was, Lampkins are great though, They will most probably send you an exhaust even if your bike is out of warrenty, Give them a call, They will help you in the best way they can.

I'm not 100 percent sure, But I think it was, Lampkins are great though, They will most probably send you an exhaust even if your bike is out of warrenty, Give them a call, They will help you in the best way they can.

Tried Lampkins and though helpful from and avice point of view since it's out of warranty could not help further.

Took the plunge and cut the back of between the button welds you can see (one for top baffle and one for bottom baffle).

The trouble is that where the large diameter pipe which is welded to the bottom baffle passes through the opening in the top baffle, this hole seems too big and the pipe moves around in the hole and the same for the pipe that is at the top of the back baffle and goes to the outlet.

It appears that these need to be loose for thermal expansion of the pipes so it is not as simple as welding them to the baffles in question.

I have made some stainless steel shims and wedged between the pipe and the baffle hole to take up the slack. Next I will tack welded the shims to the pipes which will allow the pipes to expand individually in their holes but makes them tight enough not to rattle in their holes and then weld back the shell plate. Before closing I will make sure all burrs are removed since when welding the shell plate back in these will drop of inside and rattle around.

I have some pics taken and will post if anyone needs them.

Regards

Derek