Homologated or not

chewy

been doing a lot of head scratching regards what bike to get next year (always wait until January ) Amongst all the considerations I need to understand the implications of buying a non homolugated bike here in the UK (We are unique in Europe in being able to do this and there are price advantages to be had in doing so).

I can see on GG UK which of thier models are or arn't;; what about other makers?

What exactly are the implications eg.;

Is it possible to road reg a non homologated bike?

If so how does this affect insurance grouping/cost? (you need insurance to apply for tax!!)

I've also been looking at buying a new small car and that is relatively straightforward (and similar price to new trials bike) On The Road price vendor registers and taxes it all in the price...I won't even go into warranties at this time...pointless until road reg/tax/insurance understood.

for some competition series (eg Touring cars, world superbikes), manufacturers need to produce for public sale a certain number of similar/identical bikes to the ones they're running in competition. If that's been done, the bikes are homologated, and qualify for entry.

As opposed to prototype classes like MotoGP and F1, where you don't need to produce similar for sale!

No idea how it works in trials, though!

When I Looked at a Gas Gas I was given a price for a non homolu --- homolo--???homolugateated one. I asked what that is he told me it means ready for competition, but not for road, When the bikes arrived they had lights.

So I would also like to know what homi, homoli, holimo, that big word means.

Pete

So far as I know it means fit to be used on public roads to a roadworthy standard (that being an internationally recognized standard) I.e full size no plate ,lights sidestand which flips up when you take the weight off it? bits and bobs which arn't neccesary for trials generally.

Hence the gravity of my question ; it's no point in me buying a trials bike which I want to use on public roads (taxed /registered) if the tax people won't allow it on the road. It probably rules out several choices of bike for me.

The bike you buy now off Gas Gas is non homolugated but you can tax it as trials bikes have an exemption.

this has applied for a few years, its why when you have to get a bike inspected they check things like ground clearance. The problem you will have importing one is that you wnt have a v55, not sure if you need one to get the exemption. DVLA should be able to advise.

Gassers are supplied non homogenised. Easy to UK reg as Trials & Enduro bikes have exemption from SVA test & Euro Certificate of Conformity. I've had no probs getting insurance for these bikes, Never been asked about this issue. You can order Euro spec GG but cost extra for a box of bits that you'll never use....hang on, a few years ago that's how they arrived. Pretty sure the other UK importers bikes are in the spec.

Hey munch If you expect me to buy you a pint in May I need to keep other outgoings down..us retired folk have a fixed income ..once its spent you can't replace it. I am not intending to import or anything like that those days of 1.5 euros for a quid are long gone. It was interesting to hear of yet another grey area (exemption from SVA test and COC) if it was a Stevie Ray Vaugn test I could understand that) Thanks all for your help..it (homog whatsited) would seem an irrelevance..thats all I needed to know.