OSSA TR 280I (2012)

digga

Hi there all,new at this forum buisness so go easy on me,i thought i was close to buying a new OSSA TR280 (2012),but managed to get a ride on a 2012 model at a test ride day last week,i was very disappointed in the clutch drag the bike had and neutral was totally (unselectable)with the motor going ,i realize this has been a sore point on some or most of the bikes,just wondered what all you owners have done (oil type and adjustment wise) to overcome this problem? I have sent of emails to quiet a few dealers in a few countries and this is not an isolated problem,some have found the AJP master cylinders bypassing from new and need a repair kit installing and say you need to use a (Synthetic ATF) oil in the gearbox to help with the drag and minimize this problem! Any advice on this matter would be appreciated from you guys that already have one of these innovative and great looking machines!

digga.

From Down Under.

Edited by digga

Just wondering , How much drag are you talking about, trying to move the bike when clutch is in ? or just hard to find N ?

Out of the last 5 bikes I've owned I can't recall any that were easy to find N while running , which is the way I prefer. An unwanted N while riding can be SERIOUS

Just wondering , How much drag are you talking about, trying to move the bike when clutch is in ? or just hard to find N ?

Out of the last 5 bikes I've owned I can't recall any that were easy to find N while running , which is the way I prefer. An unwanted N while riding can be SERIOUS

Hi there,yeah you just feel it wanting to push the bike a little, But i do know what you mean about most bikes not being great at selecting neutral while being stationary with the motor going,i had a 2001 321 Gasser which was ok,different clutch pack though,latest Gassers and Ossas are using a diaphragm type,thats why Gassers can do the same at times. A few Ossa dealers have said this improves with hours on the bike,another mentioned (synthetic atf fluid) in the gearbox,some claiming never a problem!

Hi there all,new at this forum buisness so go easy on me,i thought i was close to buying a new OSSA TR280 (2012),but managed to get a ride on a 2012 model at a test ride day last week,i was very disappointed in the clutch drag the bike had and neutral was totally (unselectable)with the motor going ,i realize this has been a sore point on some or most of the bikes,just wondered what all you owners have done (oil type and adjustment wise) to overcome this problem? I have sent of emails to quiet a few dealers in a few countries and this is not an isolated problem,some have found the AJP master cylinders bypassing from new and need a repair kit installing and say you need to use a (Synthetic ATF) oil in the gearbox to help with the drag and minimize this problem! Any advice on this matter would be appreciated from you guys that already have one of these innovative and great looking machines!

digga.

From Down Under.

was the bike you tried brand new or did it have some run in hours on it?

was the bike you tried brand new or did it have some run in hours on it?

Hi there,the bike had been ridden for at least a full day with various grade riders at a test day the previous weekend before as far as i know! The dealer was present the day we rode it, all else aside it started well and ran well,brakes felt real strong,rear suspension was just beautiful as everybody suggests, the overall package looks very smart in the new trim and colour,its a pity they have not put the (two position) mapping switch on the 2012 model that was on the 100th Scottish Six Day Anniversary model like Sherco and Gasgas.

The clutch frees up significantly as you put more hours in, still hard to get into N, never had a problem on the shercos i had owned but then i got them in sections too, not an issue with the ossa, the trick is to be in 2nd, give it a blip of the throttle and a light touch down to find netural. it could also require bleeding as mine did and a bit of adjustment.

Edited by sdeane01

The clutch frees up significantly as you put more hours in, still hard to get into N, never had a problem on the shercos i had owned but then i got them in sections too, not an issue with the ossa, the trick is to be in 2nd, give it a blip of the throttle and a light touch down to find netural. it could also require bleeding as mine did and a bit of adjustment.

Hi there,thanks for that info,nice to finally here from someone that actually owns one,how long have you had your Ossa (2011 or 2012) and are you happy with it,i am still keen to get one,just want to here from a few owners like yourself to get a better idea!

Many Thanks.

Love it. The air cleaner access is something i was hoping they would fix for the 2012. mine is a 2011. had it since about Feb. will be getting another one, perhaps the racing model if they bring one out.

Hi there (sdeaneo1),just thought i would reply and say i had just placed an order for a new (2012) model from the dealer(Don)who i believe is in your club in Canberra. The next shipment of Ossa's is not due for a few weeks yet (25) bikes in all and only (7) left for sale,looks like there gaining popularity.

Thanks for your input.

Good job, i think you will love it. they get better as they bed in but the traction is awesome. first thing i did was change to a fast action throttle. Don's shop is about 3km from home so real good, will be waiting til the farjdo model i think, see what goodies it has.

Hi there (sdeaneo1),just thought i would reply and say i had just placed an order for a new (2012) model from the dealer(Don)who i believe is in your club in Canberra. The next shipment of Ossa's is not due for a few weeks yet (25) bikes in all and only (7) left for sale,looks like there gaining popularity.

Thanks for your input.

:thumbup: enjoy

Hi Digga

Been reading these comments and I did own a 2011 OSSA but reluctantly had to give it up as the clutch was too heavy for my damaged left hand.

That bike was great, and yes it was a bitch to start and needed fore arms like Popeye to use the clutch.

I had the chance to ride that same bike again a few weeks ago (owned by an A grade rider) and it is a pussycat, silky smooth, light clutch and easy to start.

I now have a new Sherco 2011 SSDT that has just been traded on the new 2012 OSSA, won't go into the amount of carbie fiddling, I had to go through, but nice bike.

The 2012 OSSA you rode, I had the pleasure of running that bike in, and what a gem,

The 2012 is a huge improvement on the first OSSA, softer clutch easy start and very, very gentle. My nike is on the same slow boat as yours. However I am lucky as I have an OSSA SSDT model to test whilst waiting, and again a really great bike.

Short story, You will love the bike, take time to run it in, change the oil after a couple of hours (lay the bike over to get the last 100mls out) - bed the suspension in and have fun

Cheers - Mark

Hi Digga

Been reading these comments and I did own a 2011 OSSA but reluctantly had to give it up as the clutch was too heavy for my damaged left hand.

That bike was great, and yes it was a bitch to start and needed fore arms like Popeye to use the clutch.

I had the chance to ride that same bike again a few weeks ago (owned by an A grade rider) and it is a pussycat, silky smooth, light clutch and easy to start.

I now have a new Sherco 2011 SSDT that has just been traded on the new 2012 OSSA, won't go into the amount of carbie fiddling, I had to go through, but nice bike.

The 2012 OSSA you rode, I had the pleasure of running that bike in, and what a gem,

The 2012 is a huge improvement on the first OSSA, softer clutch easy start and very, very gentle. My nike is on the same slow boat as yours. However I am lucky as I have an OSSA SSDT model to test whilst waiting, and again a really great bike.

Short story, You will love the bike, take time to run it in, change the oil after a couple of hours (lay the bike over to get the last 100mls out) - bed the suspension in and have fun

Cheers - Mark

Hi Mark,many thanks for your valuable input and the tips on those few things,was going to get a new Gasser but just felt like something different and the Ossa fits the bill,and looks pretty well put together. Yeah there is some "doubters" out there who wont buy one yet,ha if we all did that they would never sell any! Many Thanks,Peter.