Chain tensioner

Johnny

I'm having problems fitting a chain tensioner to my M80 that I am rebuilding. Its one of Bultaco UK's. It appears that the only way to fit one on an M80 is to the rear brake torque arm bracket on the swinging arm, and the tensioner has to face forwards. I've never had a bike with this arrangement before. All the bikes I've had have had the tensioner 'trailing'. This might not be a problem, but the chain is rubbing on the tensioner spring, despite bending it as far as I can into the tensioner.

Has anyboby else had this problem or can suggest any solutions?

Cheers

Hello Johnny. I have a picture of the chain side of a m80 in front of me and standard the chain tensioner is bolted to the front of the brake torque arm facing forwards. I would say they had a different spring than the rear facing ones.The photo I am looking at is on page 27 of Sherpa T the story. Bully Lover.

Are you sure you bought the correct tensioner as on the earlier bikes like the M80, the spring sits on the outside and isn't able to come into contact with the chain. In appearance, they have 3 bolts holding the rubber pad to the arm and the pad is flat, it doesn't have the vertical sides that the chain runs in.

See picture, you can just see it

post-71-0-07710000-1322079603.jpg

Thanks for that Woody. I didn't buy the tensioner, it came in the box of bits with the bike. After looking at the picture I've fitted the pad on the other side of the arm and bent the spring the other way to locate on the swingingarm and it works a treat. Cheers