2008 front shock rubber washer

clav3

I was wondering if anyone has had the rubber washer in the spring side of a 2008 front shock disintegrate.

I found bits of it in the bottom of the outer fork leg while I was changing the seal.

Dimensions are roughly 32 mm outer 24mm inner and 4mm high. Sought of square in profile. Like a square O ring.

I cant figure where it came from and its not in any of the parts books.

I think the 2007 and 2009 fork are the same parts as the 2008 and its not in those parts books either.

Its a mystery?

Also has anyone had to replace the damping pump or parts in the right fork? Mine is pumping oil into it alright and sucking up when I put new oil in, but lately the shocks are topping out sometimes when I pull up hard while riding.

When I took the fork brace off the right shock doesnt suck back up.

I bled the air out the top and it pumped oil back into the cartridge but it doesnt take long for air to displace the oil and the shock loses its effectiveness.

Im going to change the oil to see if that will help.

Never seen a rubber O-ring in a front shock before ... Are you the original owner? .... sounds very odd to me.

I'd suggest you fully dismantle and flush-out that leg with Kero/Parafin and replace the seals at the same time. But I can't see how you can replace an O-ring that doesn't technically exist.

Best of luck.

Neo

I am the original owner.

These forks do have rubber parts in them.

I have also taken the cartridge assembly out of the right fork, only to find bits of a split rubber washer near the very top.

This washer has grooves on one side at the top and the other side at the bottom.

I have pushed the two broken halves into the top of the cartridge assembly and they seem to fit nicely .

They were actually found sitting sideways above the assembly above the cartridge but that is not where they go.

It's difficult to find this part in the parts book but it may be there.

I'm sending some photos to the dealer here in Aus hoping he and the factoy can help.

Surely I can't be the only one that has had trouble with these two items.

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd share these pics of the metal washer with rubber vulcanized to it (left fork) and the rubber washer for the right cartridge side fork that I eventually purchased from Paioli.

Paioli were the only people who acknowledged their existence!

I've never posted a pic before, so I hope these are viewable.

If not some hints would be appreciated.

2012 04 12 19.12.14

2012 04 12 19.12.00

2012 04 12 18.21.56

Argh, seem to be a sort of top out bumper. Makes me wonder just how much of this may go on in the future with the bikes, as the report I got said Paioli wat out of business, and the new company putting the "Tech" forks on the new ones was taking over. I suspect them similar, yet who knows?

Someone else very prominent in trials in the U.S also had suggested Paioli was out of business.

The Sherco factory in their correspondence with the AUS dealer denied the existence of the parts and suggested that I had "performed a tuning." The Aus dealer then wrote a letter, yes a letter to Paioli (because the web link was broken) as a last effort to find the parts and low and behold, Paioli were happy to deal directly with me.

All I can say is that without the two people I delt with from Paioli, I'd still be tearing my hair out.

I think the exact same forks are on five years worth of bikes distributed by Sherco thoughout the world!

Scary!

I bought 2 parts for each side that will keep me going till a new bike.

Anyone with the same problem better hope Paioli doesn't go out of business or they'll be on their own.

Also had lots of fun with the language barrier!!

I really don't know what shape the company is in, but they sold me 4 parts... So I guess thats a yes.

Paioli sent me the following images to help identify the parts. The part numbers are on the images.

Right Fork

Left Fork

My bike was 4 years old last September and I give it the berries every weekend. Sometimes till 10.00 at night. Most times till 8.00 at night.

I know some people who don't ride all that much and have never changed a fork seal.

I think people updating to newer bikes within a year or two and the second

or third owners may not know how the forks should operate correctly, also

the bikes may not be ridden much or very hard, may contribute to this

problem going under the radar.

Maybe I'm Just hard on the gear.

The right side diag is upside down. That's how it was sent to me.

But if you look real close you'll see a small recess that the rubber washer just pops into.

I think it acts as a bottom out bumper for the plunger.

It also may slow or stop the oil flow from the top of the plunger... not sure?

Like I said the language barrier made it difficult to get much other info on the parts.

I can understand how the vulcanized rubber to metal top out washer in the left fork wore out, but not too sure how the damper side washer in the right fork ended up split in half.

If anyone out there is hearing a top-out clunk while pulling up on their bars, they'll probably need to replace the vulcanized washer.

If you look in the parts book you may get this part together with the "pump group".

I wasn't going to puchase the pump group and risk not getting the part I needed.

• 9 years later...

This thread is quite helpful. Mine came out split in two pieces when I recently serviced my 2006 forks and even RYP in the US didn't have a solution and while I believe it is clearly in the spares manual, it is hard to visualize what it's purpose is and how I'll fabricate something to replace it. Maybe I'll chase that Tech lead down, but this thread is pretty old!