Rev3 250 '02 Caliper Seals

redstormv

Hi,

New to modern trials bikes and found needing replacement seals (5) for the rear caliper.

Can I just buy the seals or do I have to buy a service kit and if so, where from?

My daughter went for a little potter around on Sunday she's not ridden a bike of any description since she was 7, about 20 years ago. Watched her come back down the field and was shocked to see a lot of smoke coming from the back if the bike.

(Too much 2-stroke? Mixture problem?)

When she pulled up all became clear. She'd inadvertently had her foot on the rear brake as she'd ridden round!

I knew brakes could get hot, even glow, I've seen it on road bikes. This wasn't just hot, it was on fire, yellow, green and many other coloured flames all licking out from the caliper!

Pulled the caliper down last night, only a drop of fluid left in it or the brake pipe. The pads are shot and all the seals are crispy. Think the fluid and copper back plates of t huh e pads explains the 'pretty' flames.

Luckily, the disc is blued but not warped and the pistons and caliper look to be OK and have cleaned up well.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers Ben?

I found them t'other night when browsing through. I mustn't have looked hard enough thy h or searched for the right thing. Was using beta rev3 seals or similar.

Looks to be AJP Late type 2 pot rear brake caliper rebuild kit I need but will check with them tomorrow.

i have similar play on both discs on my little used 2008 rev3 and thought the bolts were slack, but on checking it, bolts were tight. Does seem there is a bit of play between the disc and the spacers. Meant to ask around myself to see if this is standard or not.

Cheers Steve, I thought of that but would have expected it to be lateral play like road bikes ie toward & away from the hub.

This play is in the opposite plane ie. clockwise / anti clickwise as you look at the disc.

It doesn't appear to have an adverse affect on the braking, just don't want to cause any further problems.