PIA Amal problems.....

sir dabs alot

That's one of the few problems I haven't had with my Amal - I suggest you grab a new adjustable float unit http://www.amalcarb.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=37371 (check to make sure that is correct for your model).

These work really well and worth the 13 quid

The new stay up black floats makes things easier to adjust but the problem is the float bowl gasket. Get a new one or trim the old one with an exacto knife. Usually where they hang up around the pivot pin. Some material presses in and interferes with movement of the float. Sometime some flashing of the float bowl on the edge of the bowl or along the seem of the float itself can hang up on the side around the pivot pin. I use a fingernail file to take the flashing off.

Could be any one of those three things. Usually not to hard to figure out.

When reassembling this carb - be extremely careful not to over tighten any of the four screws - the two float bowl screws and the two top cap screws too tight. Usually what I do is tighten them down till the lock washer is flush with the above an below surfaces and then I turn the screwdriver one tiny smidge more and STOP.

The same goes for the two nuts that hold the carb flange to the motor. Tighten down the nut until the lock washer is just crushed flat and then one tiny smidge more and stop. If the sealing o-ring is old hard dry and flat then replace it. I think the torque value on these nuts is 4 inch-pounds. That is ridiculously light.

If you get ham fisted with any of the nuts you will (in order)

1) warp the float bowl

2) warp the carb body so that the slide sticks (usually wide @ssed open)

3) warp the carb flange (creates air leaks)

If the carb has any age on it consider replacing the needle and needle jet as these are likly worn wide which will cause the bike to run really rich. Southwest Montesa has these bits.

Good luck.

Edited by sempergumby