Trial Tech Vector Computer

chimera1

I purchased a 85-702 Trail Tech Vector Computer, the version that fits bikes with drum brakes, for my 74 TY250. One of its many features is an engine temperature sensor that mounts under the spark plug. It has a warning light if the temperature gets too hot. As part of the installation you have to enter the normal engine temperature.

Does anyone know what the normal operating temperature should be?

Thanks,

I purchased a 85-702 Trail Tech Vector Computer, the version that fits bikes with drum brakes, for my 74 TY250. One of its many features is an engine temperature sensor that mounts under the spark plug. It has a warning light if the temperature gets too hot. As part of the installation you have to enter the normal engine temperature.

Does anyone know what the normal operating temperature should be?

Thanks,

"Normal operating temperature" is a relative term, as it would be the average temp under general operating conditions for that specific part being measured. Although the temp warning system seems like overkill for a TY (an engine will tell you when it is overheating if you know it's "language"), I would use a laser temp sensor and measure the installed sensor several times (in the same place each time) while riding the bike under "normal" conditions. Take the average of the measurements and you should have a ballpark figure as a baseline.

The laser sensors are quite handy, for example, I use one to quickly pick out an "off" cylinder on multi-cylinder engines.

Jon

The laser sensors are quite handy, for example, I use one to quickly pick out an "off" cylinder on multi-cylinder engines.

Jon

Finally a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for the solution.

I an converting the TY250 into the "enduro" model with thicker seat, lower Honda CR250 footpegs, headlight, horn, mirrors and taillight. I plan to to keep the oil injection and use it for trail riding and trips to the grocery store. It doesn't take much to make a bike street legal in Texas. Here our temperatures are often over 100 degrees F.

My MX competition days are over with and I have fond memories of riding mountain trails on my old Bultaco Alpina 350. One of many bikes I should have kept.

Thanks

Edited by chimera1

• 1 month later...