SY250R Tailpipe.

alta

Does anyone make an aftermarket tailpipe for the 250R?One that's easy to re-pack?I know of a couple of SY's that are fitted with modified motocross or enduro tailpipes but they appear to be a bit on the bulky side.I have re-packed mine but it wasn't a simple job as the pipe has a perforated inner skin about ten mill distant from the outer.The gap between the two skins is densely packed.You then have more packing material and then the perforated "through"tube.All this makes cutting the end off and replacing it a bit of a nightmare.Any ideas?

I've only ever come across one aftermarket pipe for the the SY, it was on a Jap web site but i cant find it now, i tried to buy some bit's from the site at the time but my Japanese is not so hot and i failed.

How much is a genuine one from Birk's?

sorry to be a little off thread, had a look at the website and they have a good replacement rear brake pedal to fit the 125/175,s would like one for my 175 but suspect like godzilla that I would struggle to order anything from website, I tried to order some parts from mitani for my little scorpa and after several attempts with no response I gave up, pity cos mitani (and this site as well) do some nice trick bits for the scorpas, I ended up removing the heat guard and getting pipe chromed instead of fitting a mitani titanium front pipe.

well first time one of my bikes has been called blinged up ! it does look better than the standard pipe though (and saves a few grams with heat shield and mounting bosses removed), yes Archie got forks sorted, main problem was too much oil, stripped them right down and completely emptied them, rebuilt with new oil seals and used the air gap method for oil quantity, work perfect now (good job you told me about damping adjuster working opposite way round to most others), next week gonna take a little bit of weight off flywheel, bike is well now (just need to learn how to ride !)

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but excellent news ausie300pro " got forks sorted". I found mine were VERY sensitive to having the correct amount of oil also.

Before you dive in with the flywheel, let me see if I can weigh my lightened flywheel first. Are you interested? I mentioned in an earlier post that I had bought a standard flywheel off fleebay and lightened that.

Having riden the bike with the lightened flywheel, I went back to the standard flywheel. Throttle response MUCH quicker with the lightened flywheel, but I kept stalling the f*****g thing.

Now, having got used to the standard flywheel again, I would say a half way house "may" be the optimum.

One thing also to bear in mind. Have you dialed out that hesitation when opening it up from a light throttle load? I found it was more pronounced (obvious really) with the lightened flywheel. Much less so with the standard flywheel.

What gearbox sprocket do you use. I found 10t too short for me and I use 11t. 11t plus light flywheel was may be pushing things a bit? Perhaps a subject for another thread, but interested to know what you think :)

EDIT - Sorry for O/T guys, need new thread ausie300pro

Edited by Archie

I am on standard gearing (10 tooth gearbox sprocket) and that seems about right, I may end up playing with gearing a bit though as I am finding that best way to ride sections is all in bottom and let the motor rev, as for the lightened flywheel you have I would be interested in it, did you take it down to the weight that birkett recommends ? I have 99% cured the cough stall thing, not had chance to play with the accelerator pump spring yet but am gonna put a slightly lighter spring in and see how it reacts,

let me know re flywheel archie, ps I will probably be riding more richmond trials next year as some of my mates like their trials and I am going round to the more traditional no stop type of trials.

ausy300pro,

I don't want to part with my ligtened flywheel (sorry I should have made my post clearer!). I was just offering to weigh it for you, as if you are about to lighten yours then at least you would have a point of reference.

I'll take it to work and put it on our postal scales which are reasonably accurate.