Engine oil

upinthehills

Hi folks,

I am new to trials riding and to the forum but hope that some one could help. could anyone give a reason as to why the engine oil which I put in the bike yesterday is not showing on the dip stick today. Seems really odd as there is no oil under the bike.

it might of found its way into different areas of the engine after been ran top up again and keep an eye on it

Thanks for the replies. I will run it again and check it when I come back after the bike has cooled down. My concern is the possibilty that it is passing a seal in the engine and getting across into the gearbox oil. I dont know if this is possible but could explain.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I will run it again and check it when I come back after the bike has cooled down. My concern is the possibilty that it is passing a seal in the engine and getting across into the gearbox oil. I dont know if this is possible but could explain.

the engine/gearbox share the same oil

Is that a definite. Where did the information come from. At the minute the gear box seems full of oil but engine lube side is lower on dip stick.

There is no dip stick on the gear box side but there is a cap in the same place on gear box as on engine and i can see oil through the fill hole.

Thanks for the help as if this is right i dont have a problem.

the engine/gearbox share the same oil

You don't own or have owned a 4RT then !!!

They most certainly don't share the same oil and each of the oils is completely different.

Check the oil when it's warm, but don't ride it if it's not showing anything on the dip stick. Top it up with a syringe, a little at a time, until it's showing about half full. Start it up and let it tick over for a couple of minutes, switch off, leave it for 5 minutes and check again and top up to the top mark. If after riding it and checking it again, the level has dropped substantially,or is no longer showing, check the gearbox oil, coolant and overflow tank and air box if you tipped the bike over or fell off with the engine running.

I hope it's nothing serious and you get it sorted.

Edited by JJ65

Hi.

It sounds like you have a 4RT. I do think that there seems to be more oil on gearbox side than would be required as it is almost upto the top of casing below a small black cap. The cap looks much like the one attached to the dipstick on engine side.

I will check the items you suggested and check oil after a short run out. Would you know if oil from the engine side can even in theory get across to gear box. This is really frustrating as i have only had the bike a month or so and want to get some use.

Do you know of a Montesa expert/mechanic who may know what the problem could be.

CheersAli

You don't own or have owned a 4RT then !!!

They most certainly don't share the same oil and each of the oils is completely different.

Check the oil when it's warm, but don't ride it if it's not showing anything on the dip stick. Top it up with a syringe, a little at a time, until it's showing about half full. Start it up and let it tick over for a couple of minutes, switch off, leave it for 5 minutes and check again and top up to the top mark. If after riding it and checking it again, the level has dropped substantially,or is no longer showing, check the gearbox oil, coolant and overflow tank and air box if you tipped the bike over or fell off with the engine running.

I hope it's nothing serious and you get it sorted.

oops thought would of been same as rev4 cant think of a reason why they would have the 2 seperate ,is it dry sump ?

Thanks for all help and advice given.

I have been out this afternoon for around 4 hours and have returned home with cooled down bike and the oil level is the same as when I left. It still remains a mystery as to where the 300 mls of oil that has gone into the engine had gone to, but there you go.I will keep a very close eye on the level for a few months as it may have been lost when I came off the bike? but maybe not.