beta oil question

mill9898

i prefer putoline TT trial pro (strawberry scented) ran perfect for my lads, beta 80 rev3, now using the same on the gas gas 125 and gas gas 50, i tried the mx5 on the 80 and didn't like it, well the bike didn't run so well on it, hth

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

I used the TT pro at 16ml of oil per litre of fuel. This is the same as I used with all oils and not had an issue. I think this is about 60-1.

I am using A747 at the moment with much better results. Less smoke, smoother running, better smell. I was worried about the oil "dropping" out the mix but I made a mix and left it in a clean milk bottle. The oil stayed mixed even after a week in the beer fridge!

I always turn my fuel off when I finish riding and I always slosh the tank (brake on and dive forks up and down) for a minute before fueling up for next ride. No issues at all.

HRC recommend Castrol A747 and nowt else. There is also Maxima 927 which is similar but apparently runs cleaner. I have no experience of this oil though.

I used the 747 at 40:1 first. It was bad! I then changed to 50:1. Better but not good. I then contacted Castrol direct and asked their techinical section what they recomended.

It was 60:1. Apparently the 20% castor oil that is in it has an amazing film strength. This allows you to run 60:1 without any problems.

I've not had a marked piston, gummed rings, fuel issues since running on this oil. I also don't have spooge from the pipe.

It's not expensive as the amount of fuel it uses is next to nothing. Nothing compared to my 2.5 turbo Subaru. Now that is expensive on fuel!

I saw that as well. I used to run A747 on an RGV250 race bike I had in the 90's. Never had an issue with pistons, rings etc. I also used the oil in all kinds of MX and enduro bikes over the last 20 years with no issues. I admit these were all on 50:1 but thats still leaner than the 40:1 I have heard mentioned.

Castrol gave me excellent advice on using the oil and why it can be run on 60:1 in a trials bike. It's down to film strength of oil over the coated parts which are susceptible to high load and friction.

Obviously, the fully synth oils you can buy are simpler to mix, use and get on with but I am a sucker for the glorious smell and silky fueling I get with my Beta using this oil. I mix it with Tesco's momentum 99 or Shell V power which is also a high octane fuel. The same as my Subaru needs.

Until I have an issue with an engine part then it seems good oil to me? 20 years and never having a seize or bearing failure I am happy. For the amount of oil you use in a mix it's not expensive at all.

I believe castrol. HRC only recomend the oil in Montesa 315R's as well - nothing else.

Another factor that makes believe in this oil as a premix oil is I did run a YZ 125 for a couple of years. One woods enduro I did I lost all the coolant (I know this as a marshall saw my water pump cover get removed by a large rock in a rut!). I was unaware of this. I rode for a 18 mile lap on a 125 through the woods with long climbs. This was all throttle pinned riding. I pitted and realised my disaster. I packed up and went home to strip the motor and assess the damage. I later learnt the bikes I passed after the rut had all suffered the same fate and were all either seized or very rough sounding engines.

On striiping the moter guess what. No scoring in the barrel, no excessive ring wear and no wear in the liitle end or big end. The bike was on 50:1 A747. Testament to the oil or darn lucky. You decide?

Edited by pindie

very lucky going that distance with no coolant...i am sure the good oil has got to play a part in that.

i will need to give it a try as i used to like the smell of the old bikes in the '80s myself.

only ever used normal unleaded in mine....do you find the high octane makes a difference???

I think it does. I have no physical proof at all but I thought I had a worn piston when I got the bike as it had a rattle (possibly pinking).

Since putting the bike on A747 there is no "rattle" and it appears to be creamy smooth all the time. When it was on the Putoline TT strawberry stuff it ran nice but felt edgy and fragile. Does that make sense? It ran fine on the TT and I do see why people use fully synth modern oils. They are the ultimate in clean running etc. However like you I like the smell of the A747 and it seems to do no harm. I also have a 5 rated pug in the bike as well. In theory the hotter 5 plug should burn off any unwanted residue - this I have never suffered from though.

Maxima 927 is also worth a look if castor is your way of thinking. It is supposed to be cleaner burning. I think it is cheaper as well.

One thing you do need to do though if you change is:

1. Run your current fuel right out of the tank including reserve.

2. No need to take the carb off but remove the drain plug at the bottom.

3. Fill with fresh fuel and your chosen castor oil (A7474 or 927)pre mix at 60:1 or 16ml per litre of fuel. Mix in a seperate container as the castor is trickier to blend into fresh fuel. I use an old plastic fuel can. add oil with a syringe to be accurate. Add relevant amount of petrol and shake well.

4. Ride till it is all used up. This lets any old oils be washed through and burnt off.

The reason for this is synth and castor don't mix. Once a tank of new juice has gone through you are good to go.

Edited by pindie