Drowned Bike

Drowned my bike for the first time this weekend.

Crossing some rocks in a stream and slipped off into 3 feet of water.

Glug.

Dumped out the airbox, emptied the float bowl, kicked several hundred times with the plug out, and fired her up!

A little bit of a bummer out in the cold and rain, but, all in all, it's pretty amazing that you can submerge one of these things in the morning, and still ride all afternoon!

the TXT's (found by mistake) has a drain hole up front under the skidplate, I'm pretty sure in the crankcase area, I do assume for letting out water. Not sure about the pro's...

BUT, I dont know for absolute, I do know there is that plug for something, LOL because my bud went to drain tranny pulled out this one, and went "What the???" because of course nothing came out. plus it was a biotch to get back in because of the rubber mat between skidplate...

Does the bike you drowned, run Smoothly? I heard that if you dont do something ASAP when drowned, like as little as a day, your bearings get trashed... or can even cause crank damage?

if it were me, would wanna do something extra when I got back to the shop... So I was thinking maybe keep some of that outboard oil foggin 2stroke storage spray, that they recommend for storing outboards? they say keeps the cylinder oiled helps prevent stuck rings, so wouldnt it also 'charge' some oil into the bearings & stuff?

What you guys think?

YMMV...

No mainbearing problems with a Pro as they are lubed by the gearbox oil ;)

Bigend/smallend however are exposed to the water and need immediate action to get them oiled again. Waiting too long makes them rusting right away. So never leave them for a day, like i once did :(

Get the motor running right away, preferable with new airfilter, and you saved it. Change gearoil at home and you are oke.

Did the same to my last bike, 97 Techno, only the bars out the water ;) Dragged it out the burn and took the plug and filter out, drained the carb and turned it upside down and kicked it over for what seemed like hours. Put the plug back in and it fired up after about 3 kicks !!! Poured the water out my boots or was that boats and finishe off practice :(

Lucky you,  :( , but i feel this was nice clear water and not a mud hole kind of stream. What did you do with the airfilter?

Yeah...the water was pretty clear, except what I stirred up at splashdown.

I just wrung out the filter.

Maybe I got some carbon (coke) off of my piston!