testing ignition coil

hoodie2

Hi

I'm trying to find out how to test the secondary winding of the ignition coil. The manual helpfully just says to test it. I've tried a multimeter set for resistance,with the red lead on to the HT lead end, (cap off)and the black to earth and got no reading. but when I tried this on a new coil I still got no reading, so assuming somethings not right. Continuity on the HT line seems fine. Any ideas?

Basic problem is no spark.

Cheers

I am 99.9% sure is not the coil. I can not ever think of anyone ever needing a coil(except the motoplat that had the cdi also). I don`t have the answer to your question.(Without looking it up) But we would all like to hear what you find.

Edited by lineaway

I assume you know how to use a multimeter.

When you get the same results when measuring the secondary winding with your multimeter on a new coil - then I would seriously check my wires to the meter for any damages.

Have you checked the primary winding of resistance!

Remember just one thing when you use the meter to measure small resistances, such as. primary winding - to reset the wires from the meter or you will not get the right result.

Good luck.

Hello Again

Now I understand what you mean.

When you measure the resistance between HT ignition cable and ground, there must be a very great resistance to infinite resistance. It goes without saying that there definitely should not be any transition to ground here.

You should measure the resistance between HT ignition cable and the small end of the ignition coil wire with the color yellow / blue.

Specification

With plug cap: 17.3 to 22.8 kΩ (20

Hello Again

Now I understand what you mean.

When you measure the resistance between HT ignition cable and ground, there must be a very great resistance to infinite resistance. It goes without saying that there definitely should not be any transition to ground here.

You should measure the resistance between HT ignition cable and the small end of the ignition coil wire with the color yellow / blue.

Specification

With plug cap: 17.3 to 22.8 kΩ (20