advice wanted please

anthonyfirth

hi to all , i am new to this site and new to trails , i have bought my self a beta rev3 250 , i have joined a club , and have been out on my bike twice , first time was a bit tiring , second time i had a blast , but on my second time out towards the end of the day , i noticed my front wheel was sticking and would not let me steer the bike properly , i got home and jet washed the bike and calipers , but the wheel was still sticking , i have removed the caliper and the wheel is now rotating properly , i have noticed my pads are a little low, so i have now replace the pads but my wheel is still sticking , i believe the pistons are not running freely , i have emptied the brake fluid and replaced with new dot 4 , but the wheel is still sticking , can anyone advise me on what to do next as im not the best mechanic , any advice would be great , and thanks for any replys , cheers tony

im not up on my beta's so not sure if its a specific thing or not.

But if it was a car, i'd be thinkings its a stuck caliper.

To rectify it i'd be pumping the lever with the brake pads out to see if the pistons themselves are moving. If they are not then it may be a cause of trying to dislodge them, or a strip down and rebuild.

its a simple thing but make sure there is freeplay on the lever, adjust it with a 10mm spanner and small allen key at the back of the lever.

Failing that take it over to Nige at Trials UK in horsforth, he will have a quick look and let you know whats needed and how much. :thumbup:

its a simple thing but make sure there is freeplay on the lever, adjust it with a 10mm spanner and small allen key at the back of the lever.

:agreed: Easy to check.

The next easy thing is to remove the caliper and pads and carefully clean all around the piston with an old tooth brush making sure you get all the dust and muck from behind the piston at the back. At this stage, do NOT press the lever with the caliper off the disc.

Carefully refit and see if there is any diference.

Pete

Rev3 front brakes can be a bit grabby. If all else fails remove the seals from the caliper and check for corrosion in the seal grooves. If there is any very carefully scrape it out and polish the grooves out with fine steel wool. The corrosion is white and builds up pressing the seal too hard on the piston which stops it retracting. I don't know the age of your Rev 3 but this corrosion can happen on quite recent bikes if road salt or fertilizer off grass has got in.

Cheers

thanks guys , all the info was great , it took me about 5 hours but ive finaly done it , the front wheel is now working as it shouls , and the brakes are perfect , i replaced the old brake pads and re bled the fluid , released the pistons and added a shim to the caliper , just got some squeaky brake now , but i forgot to add some copper grease to the back of the new pads , whitch i will do tonight as im out tomorrow at swain woods , thanks again guyes , you have been very helpful , cheers tony