New Start Seeks Advice!

sag sag 280

Hi Folks - have been in MX and Enduro for many years and have decided to give trails a go as Ive always fancied it - Ive bought a 280 TXT 03 Edition and am having problem selecting neutral while at a standstill - can select it when coasting to a halt but not while stationary , is this normal ?? Also the suspension seems VERY soft . I am 16.5 stone and feel is too soft - maybe this is the way it should be but these are the points that I need your help with - Im just not sure . Really apprecaite your feedback on this guys :D

Finding neutral u get used to that as you understand how your bike behaves just keep practicing and you l find a point where you will always be able to find it.

Suspension is supposed to be quite soft to take impact of things like eg drop offs onto hard surfaces ? You can quite easily change the suspension softness/hardness to what you feel is right for you, i mean you change it for different things any way .

Hope this helps..............

Neutral on my 2002 GasGas 280 was almost non existant, but it's just as easy most of the time to stop the bike, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm getting on for ****** more than your 16.5 stone :D I rode my 280 on standard settings. I've wound the suspension up a bit on my Sherco, only by about half an inch, but it did seem to be better.

One thing that I did notice - I tried putting my forks right up to the top, thinking it would compensate in some way for my weight. I didn't think too much about it at the time, but - the last thing you want to do when the rear end is sagging, is to ramp the front end up. It handled like a chopper, and made me ride like a chopper :D

No worries with your weight anyway :D

Hi guys ,

A big thanks for all your kind assistance with my first posting - I can see this being a regular thing ! It is a great facility for a newbie to the scene .

Its good to hear that my questions and common issues with gas gas bikes and its not that Ive bought an odd ball !!!!!!

Speak soon guys

Barry ( Glasgow )

i too am a 'little' over 13st :rolleyes: and when i bought my first bike, a beta, i thought i'd wind the rear shock up a bit, but all this did was make it too hard, and i couldnt get any grip! put it back as was and was fine.

have left my gasgas as was when i got it and seems ok.

i also used to play at the MX, and trials shocks do get a bit of getting used to after a 'crosser.