Ty 250 (Mono) Compression

handsome_al

My 1985 TY250 has always (well for the year that I've had it anyway) been really hard to turn over on the kickstart - and I'm not a little lad either!

The mains and conrod were rumbling, so I've stripped and replaced them and the seals etc ........... and now it's even more difficult to turn over! I was turning it over by hand (using the clutch) as it was being assembled - that was until I fitted the head and spark-plug - so it's free enough.

If I take the spark-plug out it's OKAY; but put the plug back in and it's like a diesel to crank over.

I don't know if it's a TY piston - as it was rebored previous to me buying it - but the piston doesn't foul the head or the spark-plug.

Anyone got any ideas to help an elderly gentleman in his time of need?

Thanks (in anticipation!)

My 1985 TY250 has always (well for the year that I've had it anyway) been really hard to turn over on the kickstart - and I'm not a little lad either!

The mains and conrod were rumbling, so I've stripped and replaced them and the seals etc ........... and now it's even more difficult to turn over! I was turning it over by hand (using the clutch) as it was being assembled - that was until I fitted the head and spark-plug - so it's free enough.

If I take the spark-plug out it's OKAY; but put the plug back in and it's like a diesel to crank over.

I don't know if it's a TY piston - as it was rebored previous to me buying it - but the piston doesn't foul the head or the spark-plug.

Anyone got any ideas to help an elderly gentleman in his time of need?

Thanks (in anticipation!)

does it have the correct kickstart or could a longer one be fitted

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sadly the answer is NO. It has a DT125 kickstart fitted as the original snapped (where it had been welded) not long after I got it.

I have to say though that even with the longer lever it wasn't that much easier to turn over.

bestrcpilot

Thanks for replying; and the photo.

If the DT kickstart was overlaid onto your photo it would only just reach the middle of the reed valve at the very most!

Look out Ebay, here I come .............. again!

Edited by handsome_al

Thanks for the input guy53 .......... but zerorev3rev4's question about kickstart was right; followed-up with bestrcpilot's photo.

I've checked back with photos of when I bought it (14 months back) and it did have the correct kickstart fitted; thing is it snapped within a few days where it had been previously welded. I'd been given a "spare" (obviously I didn't check the length) so fitted that. It's only 1.5" longer than the DT that I later fitted (spare had knackered pivot) so I suppose that's why I've always had trouble kicking it over!

Anyway, to waffle-on further, I've cut the DT in half, drilled and tapped an M8 thread in each end, added a section of old Montesa kick-lever (also tapped M8), welded it up and it looks identical to bestrcpilot's photo above. Even better is the fact that it kicks over beautifully now! I'd add a photo but that's far too complicated for me! lol

Thanks everyone .......

Thanks for the input guy53 .......... but zerorev3rev4's question about kickstart was right; followed-up with bestrcpilot's photo.

I've checked back with photos of when I bought it (14 months back) and it did have the correct kickstart fitted; thing is it snapped within a few days where it had been previously welded. I'd been given a "spare" (obviously I didn't check the length) so fitted that. It's only 1.5" longer than the DT that I later fitted (spare had knackered pivot) so I suppose that's why I've always had trouble kicking it over!

Anyway, to waffle-on further, I've cut the DT in half, drilled and tapped an M8 thread in each end, added a section of old Montesa kick-lever (also tapped M8), welded it up and it looks identical to bestrcpilot's photo above. Even better is the fact that it kicks over beautifully now! I'd add a photo but that's far too complicated for me! lol

Thanks everyone .......

would of liked to see that ,but great your sorted in a short time and cheap

If you want to email me I'll gladly send you the before and after. In hindsight I should have taken some "in betweens" too but I was getting excited!

Oh well, as Homer Simpson says, "D'oh!"

Having said that, there must be a way of posting photos here. After all bestrcpilot did it.