06 125 Fitting Airbox Issues

ar22

Have just recently got my 10 year old an as new 06 125

great bike but terrible for getting dirt in the airbox after washing (my fault so will make a bung of some sort)

my problem is that after removing the airbox and carb for cleaning it just wont go back on

the plastic airbox extension is pear shaped to the silencer side, is this normal ?

when I offer up the airbox its as if the airbox snout is a good 10mm off line towards the silencer, therefore the carb rubber has to twist badly to the left to meet the carb. this being so short that the rubber doesnt sit square on the airbox and runs the risk of letting air in

I am going to get a new rubber boot to see if this helps or is there a more flexible pipe (and longer) that could take its place

many thanks

IMG00112-20120205-1024.jpg

the end of airbox looks all out of shape id warm it up with a heatgun and reshape you might be able to use a car radiator hose to make a longer pipe ,its poss its been over on the back and bent something

yes I think I will put a pipe up the inside and make it round as you say with the heat gun

the snout is square with the airbox ok it just the odd shaped side thats making things difficult

no idea how it got like this, the plastic is so hard theres no chance of it bending

thanks very much

They go quite soft with a bit of heat so be careful, yet at the same time one can use that to make them fit very well with some manipulation of the areas around(not on) the screw holes and such.

I think many leave the boot on the box and loosten the carb end as it is a bit easier to get to and manipulate back on. Your choice. :rolleyes:

Yes, make a bung plug to put in the filter hole, much easier that way!

Edited by copemech

gave it a bit of heat and it straightened up like new

worked out that it has been caused by a overtightened jubilee clip

will offer it up to the bike tomorrow night after I get a new joint rubber and see how it fits

cheers

gave it a bit of heat and it straightened up like new

worked out that it has been caused by a overtightened jubilee clip

will offer it up to the bike tomorrow night after I get a new joint rubber and see how it fits

cheers

got it all on

but its really tight, the carb and airbox just dont point directly at each other, stressing the whole thing

it would be better if the carb airbox boot was 10mm longer, allowing it to slide right up the airbox snout

any ideas ?

got it all on

but its really tight, the carb and airbox just dont point directly at each other, stressing the whole thing

it would be better if the carb airbox boot was 10mm longer, allowing it to slide right up the airbox snout

any ideas ?

just found this

anyone any experience of it, it will allow the carb rubber to sit further back on the airbox I think

carbspacer.jpg

I don't think that carb trumpet will help you as it makes the outer diameter much larger and your rubber manifold won't fit it.

To me it sounds like you might have the wrong rubber inlet manifold on, there are two versions a short one for the 99 to 2005 bike and a longer one for the 06 to 09 bikes you can see them both here: Carb to Airbox rubber inlet manifold

Hope this helps

Chris

I don't think that carb trumpet will help you as it makes the outer diameter much larger and your rubber manifold won't fit it.

To me it sounds like you might have the wrong rubber inlet manifold on, there are two versions a short one for the 99 to 2005 bike and a longer one for the 06 to 09 bikes you can see them both here: Carb to Airbox rubber inlet manifold

Hope this helps

Chris

cheers

I just got my new rubber on tuesday from yourselves (really prompt delivery cheers)its the correct one ok

I ordered the trumpet today after speaking to the supplier, he recons it is perfect for my problem and has sold them before for the same issue, I did wonder about the diameter as it looks bigger to me.

I almost hope it is bigger as it will be closer to the diameter of the airbox

if this is the case I will get a hose to suit easier

will see how I get on

thanks