Telford What Did You Buy?

mattylad

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True enough Hamish, but the reality is it's only the style of the bike that's different and it could have been done (rear mudguard excepted as it's Beta Zero - forgot about that) It's not a new frame from titanium or T45 or whatever, it's the original frame modified. The person that built it actually modified an Armstrong similar to this back in 1989/90 to ride in the Sebac championship (that bike is still around)

It also has a later engine but any engineer could have increased a 212cc Beta engine to 240cc and fitted a reed. Arthur Browning made his 325 Bulto into 370cc using a huge Maico (or KTM) piston. Yamahas were using reeds in 1973 and Ossa in 1975.

Bikes have always been modified, MacDonald Ossa from the 70s, Works UK Ossas with reed valves from 1975, Steve Wilson's Bultacos (one of which is owned by John Collins now) Rathmell's white 349, Vesty's and JR's 340 Bultacos etc. In fact when you look at JR's Bulto it was arguably more altered than this Beta but still looked like a Bultaco as it retained the most recognisable features in the tank and seat. The frame mods and swingarm mounts were extreme though.

I have no problems with highly modified bikes, the must have bits was huge for my Fantic and Majesty beforehand and the expensive tweaks here and there also. What I struggle to understand is why these talented people who build bikes like the beta and several of the Pre 65 bikes featured on here and in the Mags feel they have to style them in such a modern fashion.

" J

I have no problems with highly modified bikes, the must have bits was huge for my Fantic and Majesty beforehand and the expensive tweaks here and there also. What I struggle to understand is why these talented people who build bikes like the beta and several of the Pre 65 bikes featured on here and in the Mags feel they have to style them in such a modern fashion.

" J

Actually thats a VERY VERY good point because it may be why so many object? :popcorn:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

" J

Now that one I can't answer. My own preference is that my bikes look pretty near to standard as they are the bikes I liked when they were new (and I couldn't afford a new one) Certain aspects I never liked such as the thick seat padding on the Bultacos and Ossas and I always changed the seat for slimmer ones if possible. I hate the flanged rims on the older Bults and Ossas and changed them if possible. But I've never wanted to alter the appearance completely, colours and trim maybe, just to personalise it (once repainted an Ossa blue - disaster, but I was 17 at the time...)

I agree that if appearance is changed radically people will think straightaway - trick bike, without actually looking at the reality of what is there.

Now that one I can't answer. My own preference is that my bikes look pretty near to standard as they are the bikes I liked when they were new (and I couldn't afford a new one) Certain aspects I never liked such as the thick seat padding on the Bultacos and Ossas and I always changed the seat for slimmer ones if possible. I hate the flanged rims on the older Bults and Ossas and changed them if possible. But I've never wanted to alter the appearance completely, colours and trim maybe, just to personalise it (once repainted an Ossa blue - disaster, but I was 17 at the time...)

I agree that if appearance is changed radically people will think straightaway - trick bike, without actually looking at the reality of what is there.

Isnt that the idea of thorpe's cub to make it look slightly rough when its as trick as a trick thing?

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Unable to go myself, had to work Sat, snowed in Sunday!!

I've been looking at these hubs for my B40, who did you get them from and did you get any contact info?

Thanks

I didn’t purchase any, bit short on funds at the moment!

But they were on the Villiers Services stand (not listed on the website but there contact details are)

link

They looked very well machined with steel liners

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Edited by Monty_Jon