Beta Will Not Start

tomg

:D Can anyone help? I have a Zero 3 which was running fine, then I pulled the clutch in and it just died. Have not been able to start it since, have a spark but it seems weak. Would be grateful for any help. I bought the bike from a friend a couple of weeks ago and they had no problems. Also does anyone know where I can go to practice in northants, this is my first trial bike and I'm not very confident yet, also cost a consideration as I am 14.

tom.

is fuel getting through to the sparkplug,ie is it getting wet. if not check for blockages and see why .

start checking fuel side of things first as its cheaper and easier than electrical problems

First of all, stick a new plug in 'er. If that doesn't fix it, whip the carb off, disassemble and clean thoroughly making sure that all jets and fuel lines are perfectly clear and that the needle is seating correctly. Clean or replace the air filter. That'll sort it most times.

An old trick i got taught was if you pull the spark plug cap up off the plug a bit it makes the spark Jump bigger and can some times help if your having problems starting.

I know this might not help but while were are on the topic , its just something i got told and it worked when my bike died at a trial.

But my bike only wants to start for me sometimes it doesnt like other people :D

Thats what i asked my mums partner he who told me and hes got quite a lot of knowledge of bikes he rode since he was 7 so....

..............dunno i think it makes the spark jump bigger or something like that. Not too sure but it sure works for me, and hes obviously used before .

Give it a try next time your bike is losing spark and wont start? could give it a helping hand and go .

It actually does work.

As the coil voltage builds up, the voltage across the normal plug gap increases until it ionizes the air in the gap, which then turns conductive and the spark happens.

With a fouled plug, some of the voltage/current leaks off across the insulator and the voltage can't build up as fast and sharply. If sluggish enough, it misfires. With the extra gap from wire to plug, the voltage has to buld up high enough to jump the first gap. Once the arc starts, the voltage loss across that gap drops way off, and the spark hits the actual plug gap sharper and faster.

Touchy tradeoff between too much extra gap reducing the spark, vs. the extra gap helping the rise time.

Two strokes need fast rise time of the spark as much as they need sheer energy in the spark. One reason for the CDI and other electronic ignitions is this faster rise time. As far as sheer energy, the old points style inductive magneto is about the hottest, but that's only one factor.

kcj

Evening guys, I've got a 2002 Beta 270.

I was at a trial today, everything was running sweet as a nut, was just about to enter a section and the engine just died on me, totally weird, i couldn't get it going for about 5-6 kicks, then it kinda fired, a couple of MASSIVE backfires and then nothing. left it for 20 mins thinking it was just hot but ended up having a 25min push it back to the van :rolleyes:

One of the other guys had a go to see if he could get it going aswell, but he reckons it's the stator ignition (same problem as topic starter).

Problem is, this was my first trial in 11 yrs, and I aint got the first idea about how to maintain/fix my bike whatsoever. or where to look for this ignition thing.

Don't suppose anyone knows of any online guides to do this kinda thing do they? or any advice at all.

Cheers

Andy