Txt280 '05 Bad Assembly/quality

thomas

Sounds like a good oportunity. Some one could put together a nice little kit with good bolts, clamps, locktight, grease ect and an instruction sheet to go over everything to make the bike better. Make the bolts pretty. :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that you'll find a few really bad examples of every marque....however the GasGas may 'apparently' have a few more than the competition.

From personal experience, and having 315s for 5 years before owning a Pro, I don't find it that problematic.

I read a lot of bad press on this site before I bought the bike, and to be honest I was expecting it to be a pile of poo ! (but it was cheap so what the hell)

The reality is that I don't do any more or any less work on it than I did with my Monts. As Marky G says if you keep on top of them they are spot on. I'd definitely buy another one, even a new bike given the finances.

I'd suggest that the some of the issue is that some of them leave a dealer, not fully set up, PDI'd and ready to trial. e.g. the lighting kit still on and wiring not simplified, exhaust not siliconed, air box seal not checked, etc - all the known niggles. For the less mechanically adept these things never get fixed, and the owner is disappointed.

Those more mechanically orientated will fix them and fine tune the set up - and they'll have a great bike.

Back to the first post, you should have taken the bike back to the dealer and told them to sort it.

My preference would be to get a UK supplied bike, in the box, build it up using all the documented set up tips, either from here on on the GasGas UK or GasGas US sites. Then I'd know it was right.

They are built to a price, but this is also reflected in the price of spares - way cheaper than Montesa :D

Back to the first post, you should have taken the bike back to the dealer and told them to sort it.

My preference would be to get a UK supplied bike, in the box,  build it up using all the documented set up tips, either from here on on the GasGas UK or GasGas US sites. Then I'd know it was right.

I thought about taking the bike back to the dealer, but it was easier for me to repair it my self, because the dealer is living 2 hours drive away. The service from GasGas has been OK; they supplied me with a new cooler and a new exhaust pipe.

I would really appreciate to get the complete list of things to fix. Where exactly do I find it (I coundn't find it on gasgas.com)?

Thanks for the tips :D

Thomas

Edited by Thomas

Factory Kev's SSDT Top Tips is a good place to start:

http://www.trialscentral.com/cms/files/SSD...20checklist.pdf

It definitely worth checking that your air box is water tight, split and reseal if necessary.

Then there's the GasGASmuseum site, which have published some of the factory technical bulletins:

http://www.gasgasmuseum.com/pages/Tech/tech.html

Also GasGas US tech pages:

http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/Technical/Home.html

Also use the Search function here in the GasGas forum, you'll most likely find the answer.

Last by no means least have a look at Heath's Tech pages:

http://www.r2wtrials.com/html_files/tech.html

That is just super :D

I will check/fix the bike following these tips.

Thomas

Ps. A good thing about these technical problems is that I really get to know the bike well, so if something happens, I know have the bike is put together :D

This is not intended to start a war but how does the Sherco build quality compare to the Gasser? The only reason I ask is cos I am thinking about buying a new bike this year and from what I have just read Im a little warey of the Pro's now?? :D

Ooh yeah and how about the Betas?? Oh too many choices!! :D

Edited by BA Baraccus

I've been riding my 2005 Sherco since last October and i've not had any problems at all, i'm really happy with the bike. I changed from a 04 Scorpa, so i thought i might have problems reliability wise, but i havent. If i was buying a Gas Gas i wouldnt mind paying a bit extra if they put better quality parts on them, seems daft to me. If they are such a good bike surely people would still buy them for a little bit extra. If i was Thomas, i would be really fed up.

If i was Thomas, i would be really fed up.

Well I have been fed up, now I have accepted the facts :D

My next bike is surely not going to be a new GasGas. I primarily spend the money on a new bike, so I can ride it with out having to work very much on the machine. With this new bike it is the opposite.

My next bike is surely not going to be a new GasGas. I primarily spend the money on a new bike, so I can ride it with out having to work very much on the machine. With this new bike it is the opposite.

They aren't all 'lemons' - once you've sorted the stuff that the dealer should have done. Then you'll be happy :D

Give it a few weeks and ride it plenty and you'll change your opinion I'm sure.

BA, the Scorpa's are really good, i had two on the trot, i rode them for three years , then i just fancied a change, the Sherco is a lot more lively than the Scorpa but its something you get used to pretty quickly. I was close to getting a 200 PRO but i'm glad i got the Sherco now.

I think like many have already said, you've being unlucky!! I cant agree with Subira more, what the bloody hell are you doing to the bike after every trial if it takes three hours!! All it needs it a good wash, Lube, Carb off (If its being wet) and new filter! Isn't that what you do with every bike!

As for problems, all the bikes have them, but as gas gas are working with such fine tolerences to achieve the lightest and most competitive bike out there then there are bound to be the odd prob!

I know loads of people with Pro's and although a few have had the odd problem everyone of them agrees they are awesome to ride!

I think you would be stupid to rule getting another gas Gas out just over one bad experience! Maybe we should start a poll to see how many people have had problems with their new bikes i.e. ****co's! :rolleyes: