Tapered Steering Bearings Cota 247

keychange

I have just received my new tapered bearings and now I look at the old setup I am not entirely sure where to begin.

Does anyone have any diagramatic instructions on a similar type of bike. I know I need to chill the small bits and warm the big bits. I have the old bearings out but I am not sure of best way to remove the lower races from the stem.

I ordered the parts from Pyramid and great fast service but I also wonder if any spacers may be required etc or will the replacement just fit straight on.

All advice welcome.

steering_puller.jpg

There is a cup around the base of the tree - I am worried about damaging this - or does it come off as well. My parts diagrams shows nothing

Hi Andrew,

On Bultaco's I heat the bottom clamp around where the stem fits in then knock the stem out suppose it would work on a Montesa as well

Cheers Ross

Hi Andrew,

On Bultaco's I heat the bottom clamp around where the stem fits in then knock the stem out suppose it would work on a Montesa as well

Cheers Ross

Spot on Ross - thanks for that - now to get the blasted lower race out of the frame ... there is about 1 mm of bearing surface to work on :(

Assuming you bought the same size as I did when I replaced them in a 247 and MH349 they are a straight replacement, no spacers needed.

edit: can't remember the size as too long ago.

Edited by Woody

Is it a conversion from loose ball bearings to tapered roller bearings you have fitted?? If so I wonder if there is a kit for my Cota 200??

Ian

Yes it is a conversion to tapered - I got mine from http://www.pyramidparts.co.uk/ tell them year and model and they appear to have a good handle on what takes what - and their service is great.