348 Cota Engine Rebuild

andyn

I am currently rebuilding my cota 348 which i purchased as a non runner some time ago..

I need some help with a couple of points...

Tightening torques for the barrel stud nuts (3360.161)?

On the gear selection side behind the main selector (5166.012) there is a disc (5166.01301) with a tab which engages a stud (0266.108) with a guide spacer (2166.107) - this allows some minor angular movement (+/- 5 degrees) of the disc based on an offset hole drilling in the spacer. My question is: what is this for and how should it be set - when I took the clutch case off, the nut (0092.06) was loose....!

Many thanks, Andy :icon_salut:

Torque values are as follows:

Cylinder to engine cases = 18 lb ft

Cylinder head to cylinder = 25 lb ft

From the Montesa repair manual.

To adjust the selector, with the 0092.06 nut loose move the adjustment cam to its center position. Tighten the 0092.06 nut.

Operate the gearshift lever through all gears. If any gear fails to engage properly, go back to first gear. Rotate the transmission input shaft slightly and again try to engage all gears. If any gear fails to engage, repeat the process of rotating the transmission shaft and trying to engage all gears. When all gears can be engaged, leave the transmission shaft in that position and loosen the 0092.06 nut and turn the adjusting cam so that when the indexing plungers 0266.007 bottom in each detent in the 5166.013 stop plate the shift pawl engages its stop. Tighten the cam nut.

Hi

has anyone got a copy of the repair manual mentioned ?

I´m having trouble getting the gears o a 1981 349 and need to get everything set up. When I got the bike it would only select 1 and 2 gear and that very badly after trying to adjust things but just gessing really I could get all gears but second could only be got by going to third and then back down to second. I have tried again but I can now get first neutral and second perfectly but all other gears dont engage at all.

Thanks in advance Ian

• 1 month later...