Sealing Riims For Tubeless Tyres

flo

hi there new to this site and trials. can anyone give some advice on sealing a rear rim on a beta rev3. it seems to leak out of the spoke holes, only had bike about a week and was fine until i got back yesterday, there is no sealant around spoke nipples just a real heavy duty rim tape,

had read somewhere about something called silkaflex or something. don't mind spending the time doing the job properly, does any silicone sealant work or is there a particular sort recomended.

well pleased with selling my road bike and buyin a trials bike, wish i'd done it years ago.

just got to find a friendly club near me, once i've had a bit more practice!

hello there flo mate,what ya need to do is,take the rim tape out,clean round the spokes with something like contact cleaner,right,put a dab of silicone on each spoke,then rub ya finger around to even it out,put ya rubber back on,do up ya valve,cut abig nozzle off the end of the silicone gun,stand the wheel on the bench,silicone all round the edge,one way.then turn the wheel round and do the other side,wet ya thumb and run it round the edge,each side,make sure its pretty level each side.make sure the valve is'nt blocked,where its un-even in the middle,just wet ya thumb and smear,with ya thumb till its even,okay mate????????stand it by the radiator for a cupple of days,NEVER LAEK AGIAN,I PROMISE.BEST OF LUCK,BIG BEN???????????????????????????? :rolleyes:

cheers for that link think i might go for a compromise now, new sealing rim tape and silicone that to the rim, i'll see how that goes, sounds more permanent than the grease theory, but not as bad for trueing wheels as siliconing every spoke nipple,

silcone is s"it.take the rim tape off and clean every where with contact cleaner including the rim tape.apply grease to the "well" in the rim and put the rim tape back on.grease never goes hard like silicone.when you blow the tyre up the grease is forced into the the spoke nipples for a perfect seal.sorted!.

SILICONE OR NOT.....WELL IVE DONE ABOUT 7 WHEELS,WITH SILICONE,SO I KNOW IT WORKS.......THEY HAVE'NT EVER LEAKED.every one 2 there own.ah.KEEP GREASING,IF YA HAPPY,IM HAPPY WITH MY SILICONE.your chioce flo mate.happy trialing............................................................ :rolleyes:

I put a new rim tape on my wheel, it seemed to work ok and held pressure for a while. I then took it to a trial where it worked fine for a few hours.... Then failed! After removing the tyre it seems that the tape popped out from the recess in the wheel

Looks like I shall be sealing the tape next time. I fancy just sealing the tape to the wheel, leaving the nipples alone. I figure that a bead of sealent aound the tape (in the area around the wheel recess) should seal the tape. If the tape's sealed then the nipples should be fine? :rolleyes:

Slightly off topic, why don't all the manufacture's do away with the traditional spoked wheel and use the syle that Montesa has adopted? Seems much better to me. Granted, they seem to suffer from snapped spokes more than normal wheels but they're easy to change too.

well cleaned the wheel and the sealing band then put the band on and ran the silicone around the edge of the band and smoothed out into a nice rad, left it for 24hrs and put tyre on today went out for a play and still holding pressure, but i can see the pro'and cons of both ways, i guess theres no right ansd wrong way just wat ever floats your boat.

cheers anyway for the advice from you all!