Txt 50 Boy Difficult Starting When Warm

petrg

Got a little 2003 txt boy50, starts first kick when cold on the choke.

But it is very difficult to start when warm, it takes 30 plus kicks to start with throttle WIDE open technique!!

Per mix is at 80-1, that's 60ml of oil per 5 ltrs of fuel.. New plug fitted.

Any suggestions, great little bike other than the problem when warm.

Cheers

Clean your carb out and check the settings, also check the reed block is ok and that the reeds are seated correctly, also make sure the reed block/inlet rubber are sealed and you have no air leaks.

If all is well check the kill switch, otherwise it could be the dreaded stator thats on its way out, if this is the case don't bother calling Gas Gas they don't sell the stators any more only exchange recon ones that don't seem to last. Call Planet Karting they have new old stock. Selettra don't make this system any more, i'm trying to come up with a replacement myself- Good luck !

I use 50:1 as stated in the manual seems to run smoother

Sounds like its flooding - I would check the float assembly and fuel needle valve. Over time, the seat on the fuel needle valve can become compromised and allow more fuel to trickle into the float bowl and flood the bike even if the float has shut it off.

Other than that - yes, the ignitions systems can be suspect in these bikes.

What jets do you have in it now? What about air screw? And which exact carburetor model?

My son's 2006 starts reliably hot or cold. When hot, it likes the throttle wide open before I start to kick. If for some reason it doesn't fire up after 2 or 3 kicks, then I close the throttle and push (as opposed to kick) the kick starter through several cycles. You'll know it's ready when you feel some resistance. Then open the throttle and give it a kick, which usually gets it going.