Gear Oil/engine Oil?

notslow

Hi i just bought a 99 Beta Techno(my first trials bike), it runs ok but has been sat around for a while so i thought i'd change the oil, clean the filter, spark plug etc etc.

I know a bit about 4 stroke engines, but i've never owned a 2 stroke engined bike before and never got a manual with the bike.

I've looked through all the threads on the Beta forum and have found some really helpfull information.

However, i'm a little confused.

Is there a difference between engine oil and gear oil?

I bought a litre of Castrol TTS, undid the allen key bolt on the left hand side of the engine and poured in 550ml.

Is this the right oil and have i put it in the right place?

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Oh right...

Well engine oil goes in the engine and is mixed with the petrol, TTS is engine oil right.

Gear or transmission oil goes in the gearbox. To fill it is the big bolt on the side which is silver, and to drain is the one underneath.

I am not sure how putting this oil in will have effected the clutch, althugh everything else should be OK. :rolleyes:

a tip for changing your oil is to warm up the engine until you can feel the clutch case is warm before you drain the oil, and only put in 500 as approx 50ml will stick to gears and not wot.

I am not sure whether you should run the bike though in this case in order to warm the oil though as it may have some effects, hope someone can help, and good luck. If you are unsure ask your dealer, thay are grateful for your custom so will do anything to keep you happy!

Bob

Damn, should have checked first.

I've just undone the drain bolt and left the bike upright to drain over night.

I think i'll put in some gear oil tomorrow, let it run for a bit then drain it out again. Hopfully that will clear it out.

Thanks for the advice.

Whilst your on this subject i am right in thinking that you can use a mixture of gear oil and dextron auto transmission oil, if so at what ratios. The reason i ask is that i get a lot of clutch drag.

Cheers Mercury

If your clutch is dragging replace the fiber plates AND the steel plates at the same time. I wouldn't recommend using ATF; there have been reports that it causes the fiber plates to swell thereby contributing to the dragging problem over time.

Just start fresh with all new plates and use a name brand motorcycle transmission fluid - check with your dealer or the local importer to get the right stuff.

I've put some light gear oil in now, but got clutch drag quite badly.

I've drained that oil out after letting it run for a bit.

Will i have to replace the clutch plates now because of the engine oil i put in there or can i just clean the plates with some thing?

Is there stuff you can buy to flush the whole system out including the clutch plates so i don't have to take it all apart?

Ta.

I woul have thought that the plates would have swelled, you probably would have to change them, I don't think that it is too hard or expensive really, if you were going to take them out to clean them then I would just put new ones in anyway whilst you have it apart, thus saving doing it all again if it doesn't fix the problem.

i've just started trialing as well, but very used to the 2 strokes, glad to be back on them to be honest. you should be able to remove the plates pretty easily if your mechanically minded, try a website called www.r2wtrials.com loads of info for novice as regards the bikes and maintenance. allow clutch plates to drip clean then spray with contact cleaner and scrape off the accumulated muck between the sections of fibre, be careful not to damage fibre(it will take a couple of hours be patient) then reassemble in the order they came out. you can rub the plates lightly on some fine emery paper put on a flat face, but look on r2w site in tech it'll tell you all about it,

I wouldn't clean friction plates in solvent. I once cleaned some (GasGas) in acetone and was rewarded with a bunch of little rectangles of friction material. Check out the tech article I wrote a few years back on clutches (link on the front page). Add to this a new opinion- friction plates will swell over time. Sanding them to remove the glaze actually has the effect of slightly reducing the thickness. I would just follow the instructions for sanding the plates and put the thing back together. A very light gear oil works well in Technos. Standard ATF will not hurt the clutch, but although I have not experienced it, I have heard that the synthetic ATFs can cause swelling. The problem with ATF in a Techno is that the release will be grabby. Something a little thicker works better. I am currently using 5w20 conventional motor oil in my Rev3 trans and it works well. Light weight gear oil is supposed to work well also.

When reading the tech article, note the part about making sure you do not have any air in the hydraulics. This is hard to detect in a clutch, but is a cause of drag.

Still getting drag, but not so bad. I dont think i sanded them down enough.

Ill give it another go and if it's still doing it i think i'll just get some new ones.

Thanks all.

RonM, thanks for telling me about the technical artical. Very interesting and helpfull.